lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
Mark Melanson
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Throttle Zero Check Fault

Hello everyone. I have a 2012 RXV that keeps logging a Throttle Zero Check fault every time the accelerator is pressed after full return to pedal up. Watching the handheld, it occurs every time the accelerator is pressed enough to trip the accelerator pedal switch, even if not pressed enough to make the car move. Checking the sensor with a voltmeter returned results that were withing specs (4.99 volts across the black and orange wires, and across the black and yellow wires was 0.38v with pedal at rest, increasing to 4.7v when fully depressed). However, I noticed that although the voltage increase begins immediately on my voltmeter as I start depressing the pedal, the pedal moves almost 1-3/4" (measured from the top of the pedal to the floorboard), before it registers as movement under the Throttle Command on the handheld. I suspect this discrepancy has something to do with the fault that is being logged, but suspect the problem may be more with the controller than the sensor. I have also verified the sweep reading by going right to the controller connector, and they match the readings I got at the pedal sensor, so I assume the problem is not the wiring between the controller and the sensor. Further, just for giggles, I swapped the sensors from the brake pedal to the accelerator, the problem stays with the accelerator circuit. The accelerator pedal sensor, when placed on the brake pedal, shows its movement immediately on the brake pedal, but the brake pedal sensor shows the same results as the accelerator pedal sensor when placed on the accelerator.

My thoughts are leaning towards something wrong with the controller, but I am fairly new to these systems (my first RXV) and was hoping someone could help verify what I'm thinking. Or has anyone else experienced this problem? What else could trigger a Throttle Zero Check every time the accelerator is pressed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Throttle Zero Check Fault

Excellent investigation, and you did arrive at the correct conclusion. The fault lies within the controller. Either an overvolt cutoff or undervolt cutoff fault condition occured while the cart was operating, causing the solenoid to open suddenly. This corrupted the memory of the controller where the 3 phase motor calibration values are stored. The motor calibration values will need to be recalibrated, which requires a motor calibration workbench. It would be less expensive to buy a replacement controller that has been calibrated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152355026624

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have also seen the pedal on-off switch cause this code, due to on-off switch output not matching the actual position sensor (which you already checked). This pedal switch does have a line in the handheld to monitor it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Mark Melanson
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. Also, thanks Bob for the link to the controller.

The pedal switch seems to be operating normally. I have checked it manually as well as with the handheld. It changes state after only a little movement of the accelerator pedal.....about 1/4" or less.

Does anyone suspect that this condition could somehow play into a case of the motor brake randomly locking up (full on) while driving the car? Or perhaps from Bob's explanation, the brake locking up could possibly be the cause of the controller failure in an indirect way?

I'm thinking with the controller only sensing accelerator pedal position at 3/4 to full position, that if somebody was driving the car at less than 3/4-full pedal, the controller could think that the pedal had been released, even though the switch is still working correctly. Or am I way out in left field on this one?
Mark Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

If you use the handset and go to Monitor/Inputs/... Look at Throttle Command percentage while applying throttle pedal, then compare that to the Mapped throttle percentage... If they match, all is good. If Mapped Throttle percentage does not track Throttle Command percentage, that is a good indicator that there is corruption in the stored values that I mentioned earlier.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
If you use the handset and go to Monitor/Inputs/... Look at Throttle Command percentage while applying throttle pedal, then compare that to the Mapped throttle percentage... If they match, all is good. If Mapped Throttle percentage does not track Throttle Command percentage, that is a good indicator that there is corruption in the stored values that I mentioned earlier.
I agree, seen this before as well.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO