lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2019, 01:43 AM   #11
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage reducer 48 to 12 volts

Attachment 182651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptom View Post
I do not have factory reducer bought a cheap one from China. Same one I used on a 97 DS. Just need to figure out how to install. Any suggestions.
Yeah, I have one of those and it's been no problem for the couple of years that I've had it. There is extra installation with these if you want to operate it through a switch or connect it to the wiring harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptom View Post
Thanks this what i thought however dealer told wire harness had reducer built in
In your original post you said
Quote:
Dealer told me it does not have a reducer.
Let's see if we can find out which is right (put the cart into TOW before you make or break any connections to the batteries).

Do you have any wires coming from any battery other than the pack positive or the pack negative? If you do it will probably be on the second battery +ve from the pack negative OR on the second battery -ve from the pack positive. If that is the case then you are getting 16V from those two batteries. That 16V is either feeding your lights and horn with 16V or it is going to a 16V to 12V reducer which outputs 12V for the lights and horn. You can check this connection by disconnecting that wire and then trying the lights and horn again (reconnect that battery cable, with that wire disconnected, and switch back to RUN). If they don't work then that connection must have been supplying power. So, in that case we now know that you are powering from 16V. Reconnect that wire and measure the voltage at the lights or horn. If it is 16V then there is no reducer but if it is 12V then you have a 16V to 12V reducer somewhere.

To connect the 48V to 12V reducer:
Work out which are the 48V input wires and the 12V output wires (usually the 12V output wires are red for +12V and black for -12V). The reducer +48V connects to the pack +ve (No 1 battery) through a fuse located close to the battery terminal. The -48V connects to the black wire with the yellow bullet connector behind the batteries on your Precedent. See the picture. Use the wire sizes and fuse size shown in the diagram.

If you simply connect it like that it will work fine but it will be running all the time. If you want to be able to switch it on or off then the positive lead will need to go through a switch or a relay. My diagram has both, and is connected to the key switch as well. This means that nothing happens unless the key is turned on, then the reducer can be turned on or off separately by the toggle switch. The toggle switch only provides enough power to activate the relay and the relay supplies the 48V to the reducer. You could omit the relay but you then need a hefty switch to supply all the power to the reducer without burning out the switch.

If you are not confident to do all this then I suggest that you find someone who is familiar with auto electrics.

By-the-way. Your accessories connect to the reducer, usually via a fused distribution box for the positive connections and a bus bar for the negative connections. Do not use the chassis as a ground for the negatives.

Cheers and good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2542 with text medium.jpg (96.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Numbering Batteries.jpg (36.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Voltage Reducer Wiring with 48v Toggle with diode medium.jpg (106.3 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #12
Ptom
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help
Ptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #13
Ptom
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: Voltage reducer 48 to 12 volts

After giving some thought to this. I am wondering why the reducer needs a switch or to be keyed. I connected this same reducer to a previous 97 DS cart
Without a switch or keyed and had no problems. I have lights and a horn neither draws current unless turned on.
Your patience to clarify is appreciated.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Because the reducer itself draws current if it is energized all the time.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
Ptom
Not Yet Wild

Okay, thank you what is the worst that can happen if it is not keyed
Old 02-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Just put a manual switch between the pack and reducer and turn it off when not using the cart for a while.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #17
Ptom
Not Yet Wild

So I can use a relay, skip the switch and wire to key. Will a golf cart dealer be able to supply the relay?
Thanks
Old 02-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #18
Ptom
Not Yet Wild

I keep the seat locked to help prevent theft. Can I just splice the positive lead from reducer
To go to key switch and positive battery terminal?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Nothing should go FROM the reducer to the key switch. My advice above was for a system that is not "triggered."

Look closely at the diagram yawood has provided for you. Also, read in detail what he said. Especially the part about the toggle switch. You will have to decide how you want to do this.

The "hefty" switch he is talking about is not in the diagram. And yes, you can wire it with a relay the way he shows without the toggle he is showing and the reducer will be triggered on and off each time you switch the key.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #20
Ptom
Not Yet Wild

Thank you I really appreciate your help.
My choice would be to use a relay only without a switch and connect to key. The switch I find cumbersome. Will I be able to obtain a relay from a golf cart dealer.
Another thought Would be to remove the fuse rather than install a switch, but again this is cumbersome. You say to turn it off when not using for a while. How long is a while. The cart is used every weekend and stored for the winter.
Again thank you .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car