lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
Yeoman
Not Yet Wild

Default Head lights

My 1993 36v Marathon came with Blazer headlights that aren't hooked up. They work when jumped with 12v and am guessing (from net research) they may be 12-24v lights. Will giving them 24v blow the lights if 12v only? If 24v capable, will they produce better illumination with 24v? I won't likely use them more than a few minutes a handful of times a year but would like the optimal setup. Lights have no markings other than "Blazer" on the rear of the rectangular housing.
Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Head lights

24 will blow them out quickly. Use 12v. Some LED lamps have flexible input voltages, but incandescent lights need a specific voltage. Overvolting them will cause them to fail soon due to heat.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just run them on 12v to be safe.
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
Yeoman
Not Yet Wild

I'll take both of your advice. More research suggests they're 12v 55 watt halogens. I better not use them often or for long. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you have a 12 volt converter? Installing one of those would allow you to not only run lights but other accessories if you desire to add them(radio,tail lights, horn, ect) without installing a dedicated 12 volt battery or drawing down batteries from the carts battery pack and possibly shorten your carts battery life. IMO all 12 volt accessories should be powered via
12 volt power convertor and fused 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
Yeoman
Not Yet Wild

No converter Cobra. I got the cart for use on my property for miscellaneous transportation of tree/brush maintenance gear, moving boat trailers, log splitter etc.. I've been using a law tractor with wagon but that was noisy, required hearing protection, and hard on the tractor with frequent restarting. I don't see me adding other 12v devices, soon anyway. I'll add a converter as you suggest if I put on a winch or seed spreader. I'll move the lights to a different battery pair when I think I've run the lights for a half hour, which may never happen. Thanks
Old 03-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

For a winch you'll need a dedicated 12 volt battery. No reducer can handle that load.

For lights, you can get by with a small 12 volt battery, a reducer, or worst case, keep using two 6 volt batteries. It really depends on how often you use it at night, how often you "rotate" the load, and how many years you want the batteries to last. A reducer is "forever", a second battery has a finite life and has to be charged, but can power a winch. Using existing batteries is all EZGO and others did for years, though that was for golf use.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO