lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
Billynjuls
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Acronyms

New to the cart world. I see a lot of posts mentioning BL+ and BL-. Probably a silly question, but what does that mean? I just pulled my Danaher controller to send to Bob and want to make sure I understand all the terms. Thanks.

Billy
Billynjuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Acronyms

Those labels date back to the Marathon body style, which had 3 batteries on the left side and 3 batteries on the right side. The earliest version had the motor in the middle, next version had the motor mounted above the axle and the resistors coils in the middle and the last version had the electronic controller in the middle. The 36V output of the split battery pack was typically BL- to BR+.

The Marathon body style was replaced with the Medalist, which had all 6 batteries in a single group, but the 36V output was labeled BL- and BL+. Perhaps the meaning charged from Battery-Left to Battery-Load.

At that point they should have dropped the second letter and just used B- and B+, but they kept the two letter designator for reasons unknown to me. In fact, I've seen wiring diagrams of 48V packs (6x8V) using those labels.

Bottom line is that they mean Main Positive (B+) and Main Negative (B-) output from the battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
Billynjuls
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Those labels date back to the Marathon body style, which had 3 batteries on the left side and 3 batteries on the right side. The earliest version had the motor in the middle, next version had the motor mounted above the axle and the resistors coils in the middle and the last version had the electronic controller in the middle. The 36V output of the split battery pack was typically BL- to BR+.

The Marathon body style was replaced with the Medalist, which had all 6 batteries in a single group, but the 36V output was labeled BL- and BL+. I’m in Perhaps the meaning charged from Battery-Left to Battery-Load.

At that point they should have dropped the second letter and just used B- and B+, but they kept the two letter designator for reasons unknown to me. In fact, I've seen wiring diagrams of 48V packs (6x8V) using those labels.

Bottom line is that they mean Main Positive (B+) and Main Negative (B-) output from the battery pack.
Thank you. Great explanation.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billynjuls View Post
New to the cart world. I see a lot of posts mentioning BL+ and BL-. Probably a silly question, but what does that mean? I just pulled my Danaher controller to send to Bob and want to make sure I understand all the terms. Thanks.

Billy
Sorry Billynjuls, but I don't work with Danaher controllers.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
Billynjuls
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Post Re: Acronyms

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Sorry Billynjuls, but I don't work with Danaher controllers.
Didn’t know that. Had it boxed up ready to ship. Do I have any options for the Danaher?
Old 04-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billynjuls View Post
Didn’t know that. Had it boxed up ready to ship. Do I have any options for the Danaher?
FSIP may be able to assist.

Good luck.

pg
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
FSIP may be able to assist.

Good luck.

pg
FSIP, being an OEM service facility fro golf cart and controller manufacturers, cannot legally alter the maximum speed capability of any golf cart manufactured to meet the golf cart industry standard. I was in the same sitiuation when I was bound by Contracts and NDAs. The best option for RXV owners stuck with an obsolete Danaher controller is to consider a Curtis controller upgrade.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
69Stang
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
FSIP, being an OEM service facility fro golf cart and controller manufacturers, cannot legally alter the maximum speed capability of any golf cart manufactured to meet the golf cart industry standard. I was in the same sitiuation when I was bound by Contracts and NDAs. The best option for RXV owners stuck with an obsolete Danaher controller is to consider a Curtis controller upgrade.

Bob
Any idea on the approximate cost of a swap?
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO