lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Jbird19
Not Yet Wild

Default New owner 2012 Ezgo RXV electric

Question I have is how many miles will I get on a full charge? Is there anything I can do to gain more mileage and also speed? I have been reading threads and seen something about a controller. Also there is no battery indicator on cart.

This is my first golf cart purchase so I’m completely lost lol

Thanks in advance
Jbird19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #2
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New owner 2012 Ezgo RXV electric

I have a 2015 RXV. I converted from the 4 12v batteries to the 6 8 volt batteries which is fairly easy. You should get more range and battery life out of the 6 battery set up.

For speed Bob Bryce in this forum programmed my controller and I went from 16 mph to 24 mph. he could've made it faster but at the time I didn't want it faster because we have kids ride and drive it some. I put larger wheels on it (20" tall) and now it goes 26-27 mph.

I installed a plug and play digital battery/voltage meter in the dash that I got off ebay. it was pretty easy to install. it also tells the hours on the cart
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
Zincode
Getting Wild

Hope someone with more experience with controllers can help with the controller question. Otherwise; run proper air pressure in the tires, I run mine a little on high side. Keep proper water level in batteries, make sure plates are ALWAYS covered but not over fill, about half inch above plates. Keep outside of batteries clean, clean with baking soda mixed with water. Invest in good set of battery cables but dont over do it. Keep battery terminals clean and protected, remove any corrosion ASAP. Keep cart in proper working order with fresh batteries that are always charged after every use and you will get plenty of run time out of it...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Zincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird19 View Post
Question I have is how many miles will I get on a full charge? Is there anything I can do to gain more mileage and also speed? I have been reading threads and seen something about a controller. Also there is no battery indicator on cart.

This is my first golf cart purchase so I’m completely lost lol

Thanks in advance
2012 RXV is a great machine, it is the one I have. If yo have the stock 12V batteries and they are in good shape, you should get no less than 10 miles, but this is as far as I've tested mine on 3 year old batteries.

For increased speed, you'll likely have a Curtis controller, which can be reprogrammed by forum and RXV guru Bob Boyce. My cart goes about 28 MPH and I limited it to that, as the cart is not really designed to handle that kind of speed adn technically not very safe. Avoid the temptation to get larger wheel/tires beyond 21" diameter total or you can blow the controller. A costly mistake.

Get a digital voltmeter, either a plug and play that replaces the stock gauge (I don't have the link handy, but it's about $50 on ebay), or a nice large number digital one available from site-sponsor Scotty. If you go the latter route, NEVER EVER splice this into the wires at your stock gauge, or you will blow the controller. Run two separate wires black and red from the first + and from the last - of the battery pack (or the + can be run from the solenoid).

Be aware that the electronics on this cart is not for the tinkerer. If you wish to add peripheral add-ons such as lights, radio, etc., you should have a 46V to 12V reducer to handle any further add-ons. These are relatively cheap and easy to install, and will keep you out of the stock electrical harness. Install a fuse block at the reducer to handle any accessories.

Again, the controller is the computer that runs the cart. Unlike the TXT which is much easier to tinker with, the RXV does not work in simple circuits, so avoid fiddling with or cutting into the harness.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
Jbird19
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
I have a 2015 RXV. I converted from the 4 12v batteries to the 6 8 volt batteries which is fairly easy. You should get more range and battery life out of the 6 battery set up.

For speed Bob Bryce in this forum programmed my controller and I went from 16 mph to 24 mph. he could've made it faster but at the time I didn't want it faster because we have kids ride and drive it some. I put larger wheels on it (20" tall) and now it goes 26-27 mph.

I installed a plug and play digital battery/voltage meter in the dash that I got off ebay. it was pretty easy to install. it also tells the hours on the cart
Ok thanks so much I will be doing everything you stated.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
Jbird19
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincode View Post
Hope someone with more experience with controllers can help with the controller question. Otherwise; run proper air pressure in the tires, I run mine a little on high side. Keep proper water level in batteries, make sure plates are ALWAYS covered but not over fill, about half inch above plates. Keep outside of batteries clean, clean with baking soda mixed with water. Invest in good set of battery cables but dont over do it. Keep battery terminals clean and protected, remove any corrosion ASAP. Keep cart in proper working order with fresh batteries that are always charged after every use and you will get plenty of run time out of it...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thank you...thank you I will keep all that in mind.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #7
Jbird19
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggieman18 View Post
2012 RXV is a great machine, it is the one I have. If yo have the stock 12V batteries and they are in good shape, you should get no less than 10 miles, but this is as far as I've tested mine on 3 year old batteries.

For increased speed, you'll likely have a Curtis controller, which can be reprogrammed by forum and RXV guru Bob Boyce. My cart goes about 28 MPH and I limited it to that, as the cart is not really designed to handle that kind of speed adn technically not very safe. Avoid the temptation to get larger wheel/tires beyond 21" diameter total or you can blow the controller. A costly mistake.

Get a digital voltmeter, either a plug and play that replaces the stock gauge (I don't have the link handy, but it's about $50 on ebay), or a nice large number digital one available from site-sponsor Scotty. If you go the latter route, NEVER EVER splice this into the wires at your stock gauge, or you will blow the controller. Run two separate wires black and red from the first + and from the last - of the battery pack (or the + can be run from the solenoid).

Be aware that the electronics on this cart is not for the tinkerer. If you wish to add peripheral add-ons such as lights, radio, etc., you should have a 46V to 12V reducer to handle any further add-ons. These are relatively cheap and easy to install, and will keep you out of the stock electrical harness. Install a fuse block at the reducer to handle any accessories.

Again, the controller is the computer that runs the cart. Unlike the TXT which is much easier to tinker with, the RXV does not work in simple circuits, so avoid fiddling with or cutting into the harness.

Ok thank you I’m headed to eBay now for the plug n play. I did read about the fuse blocker and I also seen about getting a separate solar battery for extras as in lights music so that I wouldn’t take away from cart batteries. Do you recommend that?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird19 View Post
Ok thank you I’m headed to eBay now for the plug n play. I did read about the fuse blocker and I also seen about getting a separate solar battery for extras as in lights music so that I wouldn’t take away from cart batteries. Do you recommend that?
I don't have the solar/separate battery, but I can say that the reducer with fuse blcok if very convenient and not dependent on sun. Unless you are running big bass, lotsa lights or your batteries are old, you should have plenty of power. If you go the reducer route, you will have to add up the max amp draw for each accessory you add so, then make sure the reducer output exceeds the need. I assume the solar setup simply runs off a separate battery.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

About the "more range and more speed". Just like in real life, the faster you go, the worse your gas mileage is.

I have had stock 19 mph rxv deliver over 25 miles range per charge in comparison testing. And I wasn't treating it especially light with the "go pedal", just average.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
Jbird19
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone for the input I’m going to play with it this weekend. Just wanted to get a heads up on everything and y’all have taught me a lot already.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO