lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
pfleef
Not Yet Wild

Default Alltrax Settings Questions

I am looking for suggestions for settings on my new XCT-500 that will match some of the regeneration characteristics of my OEM controller. I have messed around with several settings and I'm not getting anywhere. Maybe someone else has had the same issue.

I have a 2014 Club Car Precedent. I installed a 400A solenoid and the XCT-500A with new 2g wires. Also installed the FN-2. Got it all from Scotty - than you sir. Retained stock motor. Everything works fine. This is just a settings preference issue.

So what I liked about the OEM controller is (i) the regen was massive at low speed - I never really needed to use the brakes getting out of my steep driveway, and (ii) it didn't kick in until I had my foot off the accelerator for about 2 seconds, and even then not really much unless I had my foot all the way off the pedal. So for instance, cruising at max speed in the neighborhood, if I let off the pedal a little I didn't really slow down much at all - no felt regen at all. If I lifted off the pedal completely there was no response for about 2 seconds then massive regen. Sounds like it would be a pain but I actually liked it. And as I said going 2mph down my steep driveway I would have massive regen that made the brake pedal unnecessary.

Now I have really no regen braking at low speed, at least none I can feel. And the regen at high speed is less severe but almost instantaneous. So now when I cruise around at speed (even lower speed to match the original controller), if i let off the pedal at all there is an instantaneous deceleration that is pretty jarring. I can't really get a smooth ride at any accelerator position level other than maxed out. Maybe the better way to say it is that I can't get a smooth ride without turning the regen value way down, which gives me very little regen braking at any speed.

I have tried regen values in the Alltrax settings from 32A to 200A. Haven't messed with the acceleration or speed curves.

Anyway, I would like to get closer to what I had before. Is there a setting that will delay the regen effect and make the regen work more at low speed? Hope someone has some suggestions. Thanks in advance.
pfleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax Settings Questions

Try using the FN2 regen knob like a brake. When going down the steep drive go max regen, then turn is way down for high speed.
Also try turning just the speed way down on the downhill. How does that work for you?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
pfleef
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty, but I don't think that will work. The regen is insufficient even with the FN turned to max. My normal running in the neighborhood is with the speed and regen turned to max. I turn them down when I'm on grass or in the woods. I believe my current regen settings are 20A-120A. I've tried turning the max up even higher but doesn't fix the problems I mentioned.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Set the "Max Regen Battery Amps" to 120 amps to start.

Set the "Max Regen Armature Amps" range to 20-180 amps to start.

If the cart is braking too hard at high speeds, lower the Regen Battery Amps a little.

If the cart is braking too hard at low speeds, lower the Max setting for the Regen Armature Amps.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:05 PM   #5
pfleef
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. Will give it a try.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
pfleef
Not Yet Wild

Again thanks for the suggestion. I tried the settings, but they aren't that much different than I had. The current settings are 120A battery and 20-120A armature. So I raised the upper armature rating to 180 and even higher but unfortunately didn't help the issues. It does increase the regen, but not at low speed and it just makes the jerking ride at mid level accelerator positions even worse.

Also wanted to mention that I am nervous about running the FN-2 at the min rejen setting if it's set at 20A. It does help the jerky ride, but I have read that a level that low could contribute to a high speed runaway of my motor on a downhill slope. It definitely doesn't slow the cart at all at high speed.

Anyway I really appreciate the suggestions. Still hoping someone has the magic solution.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

So You have the Alltrax set for FN2, using the stock motor (not a high speed motor) with Alltrax set to 8 pole, correct?

I have my XCT 500 on my Precedent set for 120 Amps Battery Regen and my upper Armature regen setting is 220 amps.

The cart has a very strong Regen brake with the stock motor.

I have never heard of high speed runway and regen brake association.

What is your throttle rate range?

A low throttle rate setting (that range is controlled by the speed knob) also reduces how quick the Regen brake increases in strength.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #8
pfleef
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sergio. Sorry for delay but have been out for a bit. Sounds like we have a pretty similar setup.

Yes, I have the Alltrax set for FN2, using the stock motor (not a high speed motor) with Alltrax set to 8 pole.

My current settings are:

Max Regen Arm: 20-120A
Max Regen Bat: 120A
Plug Braking Current: 250A
Throttle Rate: 12.5 - 35 % (I have used 12.5-25% at times)
Speed Limit: 3000-6000 rpm
Turbo and Street modes checked

I confess I really don't understand how the throttle rate affects things. You think that might be the issue?
Old 01-13-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 120 battery Regen is plenty, but the max Armature Regen max of 120 amps is not much.

You mentioned "jerking ride", that may be an improperly set throttle curve.

This is the throttle curve I use, it provides smooth low speed control and quick reaction at the second half of the throttle.
I would set your maximum Regen Armature current to 180 amps or more.

The throttle rate controls how quick the Controller responds to throttle changes.

How Do You normally have the knobs when using the cart, one at Max and the other at Min, both at Max, both at Min or somewhere in between?

What Motor field Map are You using, is it the EJ4-4001-V9 ?
Old 02-22-2020, 05:32 PM   #10
pfleef
Not Yet Wild

Thanks and sorry it took so long to get back to this. Really appreciate the help on this. Things are improving with your suggestions but still a lingering issue.

I set the maximum Regen Armature current to 180 amps. That seemed to help a lot on the regen braking. Still not quite where it was originally but I can fiddle with this.

I adjusted the throttle rate back to 12.5-25%. Didn't notice much difference, but that is not a big change.

I also changed my speed curve to match yours. The torque curve was already basically the same as yours.

There is still this weird jerkiness at anything between 50% and 95% throttle position. I am trying to hold the pedal completely steady but it feels like the cart is getting a cycling amount of power. Or like it's cycling between accelerating and regen every 0.5 seconds to maintain the speed. Doesn't happen at low throttle or full throttle.

To answer your other questions: I have the knobs generally at max for both. I experimented today and turning the regen down to minimum (35amp) but it did not change the mid-throttle jerkiness. So it's probably nothing to do with the regen setting. I have operated the knobs all over the place at times. Again, doesn't seem to change the issue.

I am using the field Map you mentioned - EJ4-4001-V9.

Anyway, I'll keep messing around with it. It is improving in other areas. Thanks again for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car