lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #21
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Wire Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowchiro View Post
Switched Side, meaning that that side of the key switch only has power when the key is turned on?
Yes, the Blue wire is the switched or cold side that only has power when the switch is ON.

That is where You normally wire the trigger wire for a DC converter or a voltage meter.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #22
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Yes, the Blue wire is the switched or cold side that only has power when the switch is ON.

That is where You normally wire the trigger wire for a DC converter or a voltage meter.
Gotcha! Funny thing is my lights are wired on that side and they would turn on even if the key was switched off.

So the green/orange-white wire are on the constant power side of the keyswitch?

I'm gonna need to wire my voltage reducer and my new digital voltage meter to the side of the key with the blue wires then.
barlowchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #23
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can only wire the "trigger" wire of a voltage reducer to the key switch.

The actual +48v input of the converter needs to go directly to the pack positive battery post and it needs 10-15 amp fuse as close a possible to the battery post.

The green wire is the +48v power feed from the Solenoid big post and the orange/white wire is the +48v for the battery warning light, both have constant +48v.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #24
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
You can only wire the "trigger" wire of a voltage reducer to the key switch.

The actual +48v input of the converter needs to go directly to the pack positive battery post and it needs 10-15 amp fuse as close a possible to the battery post.

The green wire is the +48v power feed from the Solenoid big post and the orange/white wire is the +48v for the battery warning light, both have constant +48v.
Thanks, I meant the trigger for the reducer!

I think I may replace my reverse buzzer for a LED right light on my dash. Can I just take the + and - wires from the buzzer and put them on my LED light?
Old 02-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #25
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowchiro View Post
Thanks, I meant the trigger for the reducer!

I think I may replace my reverse buzzer for a LED right light on my dash. Can I just take the + and - wires from the buzzer and put them on my LED light?
If You have a 48v LED light then yes.

If You have a 12v LED light, disconnect the red wire from the buzzer and tape it as it will not be used.

Run a new wire from the buzzer where the red wire was connected to your 12v converter.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #26
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
If You have a 48v LED light then yes.

If You have a 12v LED light, disconnect the red wire from the buzzer and tape it as it will not be used.

Run a new wire from the buzzer where the red wire was connected to your 12v converter.
Perfect, I specifically bought a red LED light that is rated 12-48v.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392318560407

Any idea why my headlights would turn on even with the key switched off?
Old 02-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #27
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do You have a converter with both, constant and switched 12v outputs?
Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #28
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Do You have a converter with both, constant and switched 12v outputs?
No idea. It had the factory reducer on it. Two blue wires from the switched side of the key and some sort of relay under the dash.

I plan on removing all the wiring that was there from the factory reducer, factory fuse box and running everything new from my fuse box/buss bar. So i'll take that relay and everything else out. New light should be wired properly to the key.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:29 PM   #29
barlowchiro
Gone Wild

Club Car

So my reducer has 12 gauge wires in the wiring harness.

Since the wire harness is using 12 gauge wire, I plan on using 12 gauge wire to complete the run from the reducer to the + side of the battery pack, to the B- on the controller (I have OBC), to the key switch, to the fuse box/buss bar.

My question is, from the fuse box to the light switches and from the switches to the lights, can I use 16 gauge wire or should I stick with 12 gauge?

I don't know what the gauge is for the pigtails coming from the lights. Does it matter what gauge they are?
Old 02-07-2020, 06:59 AM   #30
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keep in mind You should not add any heavy load to the key switch.

The only wire from the converter to the key switch should be the converter low current +48v "trigger" input, and 16ga works fine for that.

The 12ga wire is fine for the converter 48v input side, both positive and negative.

If You are using a fuse box with a negative bussbar, run 10ga wire from the converter 12v positive and negative output to the fuse box.

The accessories wire gauge will depend on their load and length of wire needed, but 14ga or 16ga wire is typically used.

The existing wire gauge on any accessory is not always a good indicator since it only rated for the short length included.

Use this chart for reference:
The key switch should turn the entire converter ON/OFF, not individual lights or loads since it is a 48v circuit and not a 12v circuit.

Normally if you have an accessory that requires a lot of current such a high power light bar, You would have the accessory switch turn on a 12v relay using 16ga or 18ga wire and have the relay contacts turn the load on/off by completing the +12v circuit to the fuse box using the appropriate wire gauge such as 12ga.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car