lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
coachpete
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Melted Battery!!!!

Good Evening,

I was on my way back from my Lacrosse practice when I started to smell a strong burning smell. I got back to my garage and lifted my seat and saw that a silver metal was coming from the battery post on my third battery, see attached images, Now I have to get a new battery but here is my question can I just replace a single battery because I dont have the cash for 4 new 12v batteries? My cart is a 2009 and the cart is fine on power and acceleration. Would it be better to find a battery that is used and similar in age? Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-04-04 19.23.24.jpg (112.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-04-04 19.23.27.jpg (199.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-04-04 19.23.34.jpg (143.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by coachpete; 04-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Put pictures
coachpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Melted Battery!!!!

No pic showing up?

What caused the battery to give its life up? If you replace the bad battery will the same thing happen?

As far as getting a new or used battery, How old are the ones in there now? if they are more then a few years old I would find a rebuilt or blemished battery on the cheap to stick in there then save up for a new set.
CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
coachpete
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I do not know what happened to the battery but looked at the water level and it was down quite a bit. The other batteries are 2009's.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hmmmmmm..... How low was the water?

It looks like the battery over heated at the lug and it melted.

Let me get this straight... This is just a guess? Battery was low on water, and you hooked up the charger. Came back and smelled something then checked the cart?
CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
monepit
Getting Wild
Club Car

I can't speak from science but I can speak from experience. I had 2 batteries go bad last winter. Pack was about 4 or5 years old. I'd debated the same as you. I ended buying 2 new batteries. Wow, what a differance. It runs like a new cart now. I'm glad I just replaced the 2 bad batteries.
monepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
rib33024

The battery post melted because there was a loose connection, or bad cable, the battery can be repaired and you will not have to buy a new battery, if the battery was in good shape and would hold a charge, and the only thing wrong with the battery is the melted post, i would fix it

Check this out

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/batte...nal-repair.php
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
The battery post melted because there was a loose connection, or bad cable, the battery can be repaired and you will not have to buy a new battery, if the battery was in good shape and would hold a charge, and the only thing wrong with the battery is the melted post, i would fix it

Check this out

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/batte...nal-repair.php

. . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
coachpete
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So I found a used battery of the same type and model for $40 and I bought a new set of 4 gauge cables for $15 from this guy that has his own shop. He gave me 25 for the battery that went bad so a total of $30 for a replacement battery and new upgraded cables is a deal I could live with!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpete View Post
So I found a used battery of the same type and model for $40 and I bought a new set of 4 gauge cables for $15 from this guy that has his own shop. He gave me 25 for the battery that went bad so a total of $30 for a replacement battery and new upgraded cables is a deal I could live with!
Ok, good, but make sure to check those water levels and cable connections at least once a month!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpete View Post
I'm all for getting a good deal, but $15 for cables CANNOT be a quality item.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car