lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Kydog
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default upgraded to 48v,what needs to changed?

I just upgraded 07 PDS to 48v, do I need to change solenoid or diode and resistor? I have a alltrax DCX500,GE 1162 motor, 2ga cable, 400 amp heavy duty solenoid(white brand I think), delta Q charger and new Trojan t-875 batteries. I know I need to change state of charge meter to 48v and add a voltage reducer to run lights(was wired to 2 6v batteries before) .
Main concern is the solenoid, will it be ok to run on 48v, I don't want to fry something out and I don't want leave any performance on untapped. I have run it a little and it seems fine, plenty and of power and torque.
Need a little advice, Thanks David
Kydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: upgraded to 48v,what needs to changed?

can you see the part number on the solenoid? if so, post it up. of the 400 amp solenoids I have seen, they are all capable or rated for at least 48v, but you need to verify that using its p/n.

and can you see or read the lettering of the top resister? if your cart WAS set up for 36v originally, it should have been a 220 ohm resistor, for 48v you need a 470 ohm resistor.

as far as the diode goes, there again, it all depends on what they put on it when you bought it. seeing as how its a 400 amp solenoid, it should have had a 3 amp diode, which will work with both 36v and 48v, but you need to verify that as well.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Kydog
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I installed the solenoid when I built the cart, originally 36v with future plans for 48v. The solenoid is the same one Carts unlimited sales as the 400 amp hd solenoid. I believe the diode is a 3 amp but not sure about resistor. the cart is down at the farm and I won't be able to look at it till this weekend. what will the difference in the resistor ohm's due to the cart?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Kydog
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

http://www.alltraxinc.com/images/L-DSCN37322.jpg[/IMG]
Here is a pic of the solenoid I have if it will upload
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 400 amp.jpg (67.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

That's the same one I have as well, and even Scotty puts a 220 ohm resister on it if you are running 36v, but need to change it out to a 470 ohm to run 48v. but I would check the diode, just to be on the safe side.

as to what it will do to your cart if you don't change it.....I can't say for sure, maybe JohnnieB can explain the detrimental effects.

btw.....the resistors are CHEAP. Just go and buy a 470 ohm 10 amp resistor a piece of heat shrink and a pair of 3/8" ring lugs at Radio Shack. take it to the farm this weekend and you are set.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Kydog
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply Sir Nuke
Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kydog View Post
Thanks for the reply Sir Nuke
your welcome......
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Actually, it is a 250 Ohm resistor for a 36V system and a 470 Ohm resistor for a 48V system, but the exact values aren't all that critical.

A 250 Ohm resister in a 48V system could get mighty hot, but other than the potential of the resistor burning out and/or causing heat damage to nearby objects, it won't damage the solenoid or controller or anything else.

The purpose of the resistor is to keep the filter capacitors in the controller charged, thereby reducing the instantaneous peak current flow through the solenoid's contacts as they are closing (they bounce for about 3ms before they stay closed), which reduces pitting and prolongs their useful lifespan.

The system works just fine without the resistor, but the solenoid doesn't last as long.

--------
A solenoid's voltage rating is for the nominal voltage for the coil.
Using a higher voltage could burn out the coil while using a lower voltage may not produce a strong enough magnetic field to close the contacts.

The solenoid pictured is for a 48V system, but if it is the same one Scotty sells, it will also work at 36V, or anything in between. I now use it on a 42V system, but was using it on a 36V system before installing the 7 X 6V battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Actually a 250 ohm? Hmmmmm that's odd, as they sell a 220 ohm for 36v on the ALLTRAX site, something to put in my "JohnnieB Info" memory bank. LoL

The Master of All Things has Spoken
Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Actually a 250 ohm? Hmmmmm that's odd, as they sell a 220 ohm for 36v on the ALLTRAX site..............
That really is odd.
Especially since Alltrax lists it as 250 Ohms on their schematics and it is shown as 250 Ohms on the EZGO schematics.

Must be another situation where "Close" counts.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO