lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Onebadkr
Not Yet Wild

Default What is the best controller? I'm sure a lot have this prob

I have a 36v 96 dcs cart all stock other than 6" jakes lift and 22" tires controller got wet and smoked so my question is I'm on limited funds but what is the best controller and what about the rebuilt ones on eBay? Just wondering thanks a lot
Onebadkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What is the best controller? I'm sure a lot have this prob

Most people here are prone to Alltrax controllers and they r waterproof to a degree
Good luck
Cheers!
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Onebadkr
Not Yet Wild

Thanks a lot I was just reading about the alltrax but what is this about a turbo button can someone explain what this means can't find anything on it
Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadkr View Post
Thanks a lot I was just reading about the alltrax but what is this about a turbo button can someone explain what this means can't find anything on it
The field map of a sepex motor (DCS and PDS carts have sepex motors) can be altered to provide more torque or more speed.
When "Turbo" is enabled in an Alltrax DCX controller, and the throttle is at 100% for at least one second, and the controller is not in current limit, the field map is altered to give you a higher top end speed.

Technically, the Field current/Armature current ratio determines whether a sepex (SEParately EXited) motor is a high torque motor or a high speed motor and the field map is how the ratio is dynamically altered as the rpm and loading and amp draw change while driving. Turbo just tweaks the ratio a bit more in the high speed direction when specific conditions are met.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Onebadkr
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks is it worth it or will it just cost more on the end thanks again
Old 08-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadkr View Post
Ok thanks is it worth it or will it just cost more on the end thanks again
It depends on what "IT" is and how much you value whatever "IT" is.

Personally, I believe a user programmable controller is worth more than a non-programmable one.

As for the Turbo mode: The motor's efficiency decreases while in actual use, which is only when pedal has been on floor over a second and controller is not in current limit, so run-time is reduced slightly and the motor runs a bit hotter in exchange for a couple MPH on the top end.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Rebuilt controllers do not have all new parts in them. They have been repaired and are working today. The internals that did not need replacing can be up to 18 years old (1995 first year production). How long these controllers last is anybody's guess. Many people end up buying more than one of these rebuilds in just over a years time, by then they could have had nice aftermarket programmable 400 amp Alltrax for the same investment.
The best controller for your cart is an Alltrax DCX400DCS. Be sure to match it with a 200 amp solenoid and 4g cables through out the cart. You will be pleasantly surprised in the improvement this makes. You will gain about 40% more torque than stock and about 5 mph in top speed or 20 mph. I hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I can back up what Scotty says about the controller. As I was waiting on the 42V charger to arrive, I installed the DCX400DCS controller and ran the cart a little on 36V. There was quite a difference! Of course, now with 42V, it's even better!
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO