lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cycling a pwII charger

I found my old post. Though a tad pricey, this is what I would do, if I still had my PowerWise:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ti...itches/=p3sxrp

The Panel Mount Compact Time and Day Timer.

Of course, if you already have a High Amp Time and Day Switch, all you'd need is a relay.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Either way you go, a weekly timer is better than a daily one. That way you could give it 16 - 20 hours once a week. The PowerWise will still turn off when the batteries are done. Can't do that with a daily timer.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
rib33024

You don't need a timer for the charger 120 volts, all you need is a timer to interrupt the sense wire at the cart once a week
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One or two years ago, JohnnyB suggested using a relay inside the charger that would interrupt the sensing wire. The relay would only close when the charger had 120 volt power. He felt this would be simpler for a novice, and many of us have weekly timers already.

Two equally valid way to accomplish the same thing.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Also, many of the 120 volt timers us hoarders have lying around have powered contacts, not dry contacts.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
rib33024

And what does this timer do

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
, and many of us have weekly timers already.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Some timers have an on and an off (maybe multiple), but every day does the same thing. I have a daily timer for my path lighting, as it pretty much gets dark the same time, and I have it turn off after I would expect visitors. Sunday thru Saturday, it does the same thing. I also have weekly timers that can have a different schedule for every day of the week.

Fer instance, a store can have their "Open" sign turn on 8am and off 5pm, M-F, Saturday it can turn on at 9am and off at 1pm, and Sunday, it would be off all day.

We don't need nearly that many features, but it needs to know more than 24 hours to do a weekly charge.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If we were to do a daily charge, it wouldn't matter which timer you have, and since a PowerWise is an automatic charger, this might be fine. Dunno. Maybe give it 6 hours a day, every day of the week. I'd prolly choose weekly, if it were truly in storage mode.

But I generally drive at least once a week, as I live near Atlanta, so it would always at least once a week on my PowerWise, which kept my Exides going for nine years. I'm hoping to top that my my DPI.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I hope I haven't confused more than clarified. In a nut shell, your timer can be powered by the internal charger 120 volts and do nothing more than open and close the sense wire once a week. OR, a 120 volt relay can be internally powered (also opening and closing the sense wire) and the whole charger can be plugged into a 120 volt weekly timer.

A hybrid internal relay and external timer would also work, but that would require the timer to be "tethered" to the charger. You can also run the sense wires to an external relay that is powered by an external timer, but again you'd be tethered. My idea of a completely internal timer, and JohnnyB's idea of feeding the internal relay by a charger plugged into an external timer, both alleviate unnecessary external wires.

I'll shut up now.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Check out the link here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ti...itches/=p3sxrp

"A dial clock face and captive trippers simplify programming of these small, space-saving switches. They switch one circuit and are rated 21 amps @ 250 volts AC. Input voltage is 120 AC. UL recognized and CSA certified.

7-day switches allow a different program for each day of the week."
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO