lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
fisch442
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy 97 G16 Not Firing 1st cart

Hello all I recently purchased a 97 G16 for $500 the people I bought it from said it ran ok last year for what that’s worth. I picked it up and brought it home and started digging into it.
First thing I found was a bad Accelerator switch jumped the switch and the Starter would engage but engine would not fire. I found some other issues and corrected them but now I am stuck. Long story short I pulled the Fuel line off the carb and have fuel there but it seems to flow at the same rate weather I have the pedal to the floor or not.
I pulled the Spark plug and it is dry I would assume if fuel is getting in it would be wet and smell of gas. I do have spark at the plug and tried a new Plug as well. One thing that gets me is if I spray starting fluid or gas in the carb I still do not get it to fire.
I read through the “so your Yammi wont turn over” thread and think I may have multiple issues.
I also want to know if I need to have the Intake assembly on for it to run??
FYI the cart was filthy it looks like it was sitting in a mud pit!! But the body seats and top are all in great shape.
Thank you
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7367[1].jpg (203.5 KB, 0 views)
fisch442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 97 G16 Not Firing 1st cart

So, if you have not done so, ground the threaded portion of the spark plug to the engine and crank the engine while watching the tip of the plug for spark. If no spark is found, look below the valve cover at the base of the engine for a white plug with blue & black wires, unplug it and check for spark again. If you now have spark, the coil is good, and the "ignition kill" relay (by the solenoid & voltage regulator) or its wiring is the problem. If you still have no spark the T.C.I. (coil) is bad. This sounds "backwards" to unplug it, then expect to see spark, but this ignition system wants to make spark whenever the crank is spinning, and is only prevented from making spark when the "ignition kill" relay is grounding the coil to prevent it from making spark.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Won't "fire up"....You have "spark", do you have compression? Spark plug not wet, but fuel is comeing out of the fuel pump. I'd clean the carb first since it's been sitting for a year and make shure your throttle shaft is opening when you push the pedal, could be as simple as a broken accelerator cable. . Welcome to BGW and I'm shure you can get this working!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Oops, missed the "do have spark" part... Yep check that carb is opening when throttle is pressed. If you look closely, you can observe it from the drivers side without even removing the airbox.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
fisch442
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both , I just went out and verified the Spark. I have spark with and Without the kill Plug connected.
Yesterday I removed the flywheel housing enough to get a peek in and it looks like a good amount of surface rust I hope that is a non issue.
I have had the Carb off a couple of times and sprayed it out with gumout but i think it may still be clogged. not sure exactly where to be looking i will remove it again and see what I can find.
I have not pulled the valve cover off to make sure the valves were operating correctly. hope to do both checks in a few days.
I have not done a compression test but i can feel air pressure coming out of the Vent tube at cylinder cover, the spark plug hole when the plug is removed, and air coming out the exhaust for what its worth.
FYI I did change the oil and the old oil was very black and had a strong Gas smell but in reading some of the other threads that may be due to sitting( i hope)

Throttle and Choke cables are working.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Check the air filter to see if it's plugged. No air means no fuel. Even if the engine is spinning, if the filter is plugged, no air can get through to create the vacuum needed to pull fuel out of the bowl. Also check for rats nests in the intake pipe. You can remove the intake from the carb and try to start it. If it starts, change the filter etc. Don't run that engine for long without a filter, it will be ruined.

If you have air, fuel, compression, and spark, it should fire. If not, look for sheared timing key. If it's out of time, no matter what you try it won't run.

When I got my first cart, it too was buried in mud. There was mud caked in the cooling fins of the head, and the air box was full of silt that had hardened like concrete. If the air filter was really dusty and it got wet....that pretty much will clog the filter. I had to take all the intake parts out and soak them and wash them with warm soapy water.

With the carb, gummout may not be enough. I usually take the carb off, disassemble it, and soak it in hot soapy water. Use a tooth brush on the gunk, if any. I rinse it a few times, refill with hot water. Let it soak for a while, overnight. Then rinse again in the morning. Lay all the parts out on a clean towel. Let them air dry, you can blow a fan on them. Blow the carb out with your mouth. Yes, in this case a good blow is a good thing for you to do! LOL Don't use compressed air in a carb, unless you back off the nozzle quite a ways. Use the gummout last to dry any remaining water out. Some will also soak in some gasoline. This procedure has never let me down. The repeated rinsing will remove tiny pieces of sand that often get stuck in carb passages.

Good luck!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
fisch442
Not Yet Wild

Unbelievable!! As I sat pondering the situation and studying the wiring Diagram and some pics i took i noticed the A1 and A2 wires were reversed on the Starter/gen!!!! Really?!?! I searched found a thread on cable placement that verified my suspicion!! I swapped the cables and gave it a shot of starter and WOOO HOOO!!! we have fire! The previous owner said the replaced the brushes so i guess it never ran after that lol
It would run as long as I was spraying starter into the carb but did not seem to run on its own when I pressed the pedal. is this due to the Intake being removed??

Slonomo The intake was a mess and the filter is nasty I have the intake off right now. so that may be why it is not pulling in fuel. Oh and yes i pulled a big nest of some sort out of the air intake on the side.

Thank you so much for all your feedback so far!!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Excellent! Now you just need to keep it running. Get a new filter and clean out that intake. Get a new plug and fuel filter. Report back. Nicely done!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
fisch442
Not Yet Wild

Can you guys recommend an online parts supplier?
I need the acceletator start switch
And tuneup items for now.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

I've been happy with http://www.golfcartking.com/ and http://www.diygolfcart.com/
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha