lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default what size wrench or type of tool needed to check rear end fluid?

On saturday I left, my tool bag sitting in my garage at home. So I didn't have any tools to work with ( had a set of Harbor freight stuff, thinking they would not walk away, guess I was wrong)

so I want to make sure I have the correct tools with me later this week- the country place we have is an hour outside St. Louis, so driving back home yesterday wasn't going to work

thanks ahead of time
csport is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: what size wrench or type of tool needed to check rear end fluid?

On your 97 Unitized transaxle... 14mm open/box end wrench, a socket... or even an adjustable jaw!

Remove the fill plug to check the level, sometimes gear oil will come out of the fill hole, sometimes not,
if not, stick your pinky finger in the fill hole and see if you touch lubricant, if you can? the level is fine, BUT... check to see how dirty it is!
If you can't touch any gear oil, then you'll need to add some! (80w-90 gear oil)

IF... you want to change it, remove the drain plug first, and THEN the fill plug... it's less messy!
(it will take about 1-1/4 bottles of standard off the shelf stuff)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unitized Transaxle.jpg (60.8 KB, 0 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you very very much, there wasn't a metric wrench in the barn and I didnt want to mess it up thanks again
Old 06-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
mrlmd
Gone Wild

You really should remove all fill plugs first. If you remove the drain plug first and drain it out and then for some reason you can't get the fill plug out, you are screwed - can't use the cart (or car, or whatever you drained). Make sure you can at least loosen the fill plug before you remove the drain plug.

When you fill it, put in the drain plug, then pump in the gear oil until it overflows out of the fill hole, then reinsert the fill plug. There is no dipstick or measuring device, it is full when the fluid runs out of the hole.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
You really should remove all fill plugs first. If you remove the drain plug first and drain it out and then for some reason you can't get the fill plug out, you are screwed - can't use the cart (or car, or whatever you drained). Make sure you can at least loosen the fill plug before you remove the drain plug.

When you fill it, put in the drain plug, then pump in the gear oil until it overflows out of the fill hole, then reinsert the fill plug. There is no dipstick or measuring device, it is full when the fluid runs out of the hole.

Absolutely!!!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Maybe I didn't spell it out like I usually do...
My suggestion was to check the level FIRST! (which means removing the fill plug!)

In my defense?
When I change my transaxle gear oil, I remove the drain plug first, and it slowly "gurgles" out, until I remove the fill plug... then it "free flows"!
(it gives me time to position the drain pan so gear oil doesn't end up on the floor!)

It works really well for me!

Old 06-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
mrlmd
Gone Wild

OK, I'll forgive you, but I just wanted to make sure to warn people not to remove any drain plug before you do the fill plug thing, otherwise you will be in trouble not being able to fill it again.
I would think it would splash more gurgling out in than a steady stream, but whatever works, works. Sometimes I have the pan elevated closer to the drain plug, either holding it or sitting on a support, then lower it down as the oil flows out. No mess that way.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #8
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

very Cool guys thank You, I can't get down there for the next 2 weeks, so I will let you know- how it goes
thank You
'Chris
Old 07-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

You'll do fine Chris!
It's not near as intimidating as one would think!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car