lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
Parkerdukes
Not Yet Wild

Default 1997 Club car Ds key switch wiring

Newbie here, I have a 97 Club Car Ds gas 12V. Ordered a new key switch (factory boxed) there are no marking on the key switch of what terminal does what etc. My wiring diagram shows B1, etc but on the back of the new key switch and even the old there aren't any markings to say what each terminal does. I put it in the way I thought i should due to looking at the diagram, I have 12V at power supply on switch with key off and then turn it on and it drops to 7-8V. Anyone have any information to what each terminal does and should be labeled. Its a 4 terminal directly from Club car
Parkerdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: 1997 Club car Ds key switch wiring

Welcome to BGW Parker!

Will this help?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Key Switch wiring.jpg (20.3 KB, 0 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Parkerdukes
Not Yet Wild

Thank you that took care of my voltage issue. Did the key switch test, I have voltage at the red with key off and on another terminal with key on. I did the solenoid test I am missing negative voltage on the solenoid according to the test, solenoid doesn't click either. It looks like it may be a grounding issue. I have cleaned the grounds ( key switch to dash, engine to frame, starter to frame) any others I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated in finding the missing negative. I can unhook the black kill wire and jump the solenoid and get it to run and drive. Also is it normal to have voltage on the frame when everything is off, Voltmeter hooked to negative and positive probe on bare frame?
Old 12-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

No disrespect, but I think your looking too deep into this...
The Club Car key switch is weird with how it works, and I have yet even bothered trying to figure it out!

CC's only run with the shifter in forward and reverse... it won't run in neutral unless it's in "maintenance mode"
(rotating the yellow cam on the backside of the shifter)

Back to the beginning... With the key switch wired properly, and the shifter in forward... will the engine turn over?

Old 12-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Parkerdukes
Not Yet Wild

No disrespect at all! No it will not, nothing at all! I bought this cart with having to jump the solenoid with the kill wire unhooked. Did testing and ran out of options so I decided to be a part thrower unfortunately. Replaced the key switch, and have all 4 micro switches coming in the mail today, and according to the "solenoid test" I am missing negative input on the solenoid
Old 12-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Parkerdukes
Not Yet Wild

Lockman1 received the micro switches. Solenoid now clicks. I have voltage everywhere I should but when I have key on and on forward and press on accelerator like stated, voltmeter on positive post and black on orange post on solenoid, I have voltage for a short bit ( about halfway down on gas and then it goes to 0V) any ideas on what to check next? Thanks
Old 12-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #7
Parkerdukes
Not Yet Wild

Lockman1- If I press slowly on accelerator the starter will make a slight hum, and after full acceleration is when I loose voltage. I'm guessing starter brushes etc is what I shall look Into
Old 12-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Sorry for the delay... I was PMing a BGW member of what NOT to do!

*Edit*

It's difficult to diagnose over the internet without being there...
You say that the S/G is humming and not turning over?

Check your battery... If it looses voltage drastically while trying to turn the engine over, it may be a bad battery!
Old 12-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #9
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

I have had this similar issue,
Does the coil have a ground wire, connected to the screw or bolt that holds the coil in place? Meaning that I had to use wire to ground the coil itself.
That solved my problems I don't know if that will help you or not?
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
Parkerdukes
Not Yet Wild

Projectclubcar- no I do not... What terminal on the coil do I run a ground to the coil mounting bolt? Negative post on coil to mounting bolt?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car