lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default TXT Key switch question

I have a question about how the key switch should work. It is like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKKZ2YK...03_03_t_img_lh It has 4 prongs on the back and has off, on, and lights. There are two red wires, a blue, and a green. One of the red wires has 12v on at all times. The other one never gets 12v in any key position. However, they do have 12v between them in any key position. They also have continuity (but the one doesn't have 12v so I don't understand that).

The blue wire has 38.5v (half the battery pack) with the key on or off. The green wire has 38.5v with the key on only.

Does this sound right? I would have thought one of the red wires would have gotten hot when the switch is turned on.

Also, this is a separate issue but something I was looking at that the key switch wires run to. Can you tell me what this picture is and how to tell if it is any good? It says NT72-2c-s10 which is a relay.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic.jpg (45.4 KB, 0 views)
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
webwarmiller
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: TXT Key switch question

Not sure about what cart you have, but here is some info regarding the 3 position switch and how it is wired on a TXT with state of charge meter and lights. The pic makes it appear there are 2 'B' prongs, but it's really just 2 wires connected to the same prong.

B1 = Battery 12v+
L = Lights
I = Ignition
B = Battery 36v +
1st key position is off = no continuity anywhere.
Position 2 is B>I
Position 3 is B>I and B1>L

You can also reverse the 12v and 36v circuits if you want the switch to function more like an automobile. This way position 2 becomes 12v accessories and position 3 becomes Run + Accessories. This is how I've wired my switch so that my radio and interior LEDs can be on without the cart being able to move.

As for that relay, my guess is that the intent was for the key switch to close the relay and have the 12V flow through the relay as opposed to the key switch. This is often done because the key switch itself isn't rated for much amperage (although your relay is only rated for 10amps). Relays are easy to test, just go to youtube; there are 100's of videos that actually show you how to test one as opposed to me trying to explain it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg state_of_charge_key.jpg (39.6 KB, 0 views)
webwarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
somfas
Gone Wild

Default Re: TXT Key switch question

Thanks for the reply. That info is good for my switch. For anyone reading this in the future, I had a relay wired incorrectly to the switch giving me some strange readings. Please do not pay attention to what I wrote lol. Pingeye has been helping me with a lithium conversion and called to straighten me out.
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO