lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
HubrisHCC
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Shorter belt. Now a hesitation?

Hey guys this is my first time using a forum of any type so my apologies if I am in the wrong area. I have an 84 ezgo 2stroke that I recently picked up. This is my first cart and I have been teaching myself as I go on restoring this thing. I read that swaping out for a shorter belt could improve performance. So I did and now once it picks up speed it just dies out. I happened to look at the clutches while this was happening and noticed that the driven clutch (the one on the diff) seems to open suddenly when the power is lost. Do I need a new/different spring/clutch to run this set up. Or could there just be something simple I'm not aware of.
HubrisHCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Shorter belt. Now a hesitation?

It sounds like the gov. is engaging. Try to adjust it and see if the problem goes away. A shorter belt increases low end rpm and the gov. may need adjustment to compensate for the lower gear ratio so the clutches can operate properly. Not real good on these two smokers but its my best guess.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Does the secondary"driven" open and
then the clutches shift into a much higher
ratio and bog the engine down below its power band?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
HubrisHCC
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well as far as a governer... I dont think it has one. when I got the cart the driven clutch was just free floating on the splined shaft, after checking out some part manuels online I put a bolt and washer to hold it in place. I am thinking that is where a governer would be if there is one. DOOmsman seems to have discribed it pretty accurately.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The closing of the drive clutch and the corresponding opening of the driven clutch should be gradual as the engine speed and thus power increases. If you are seeing the driven clutch slowly opening and then suddenly snap open you have an issue with the driven clutch. If you remove the cover you should be able to see if the spring is broken. (If it has been run without the cover then grit and dirt has probably wrecked your ramps and ramp buttons). The good news is that you can get all the parts to repair your clutch or you could just invest $160 ish on a new one. If you don't have a clutch cover this would be a good time to invest another $12. If you decide to attempt a repair you will need to borrrow or make a compressor so you can squeeze together the ramps and remove the clip that hold it all together.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
HubrisHCC
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

well that was what I kinda suspected. It's also good to know that the cover is a pretty important part. I dont think this cart has been run with a cover on there let alone the mounting bolt for quite some time. Now would it be worth upgrading the spring if I decided to overhaul the clutch. I'm still not quite sure how those high performance springs help.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well my story is that I restored a wreck that had been abandoned in the woods. I replaced both clutches and rebuilt the engine. With the 22 inch tires I discovered that although that top speed was fine the slightest hill would bog the cart down and once I even had to jettison a passenger which was somewhat embarrasing. I subsequently installed a shorter belt and it resolved all my issues so well that I did nothing else.

Now I did keep my old driven clutch with a view to one day refurbishing it and keeping it as a spare. Once the weather cheers up I will probably modify the clutch as per Kris Dillon ( www.krisdillon.com/buggies ). I have heard it said that you can obtain the same effect by simply installing a stiffer spring but either way I think it would be fun.

It strikes me that the shorter belt, the Kris Dillon and the stiffer spring all have the same effect which is to delay the opening of the sheaves until the engine achieves higher rpm thus giving a greater torque at the expense of top speed. I will do this mod mainly because I enjoy messing with stuff, is it worth the expense of new ramp pads, buttons and a spring? To be honest I just don't know. I do know that I am more than thrilled with my new clutch from everything carts and my short belt from NAPA.

All the best
Dave
Old 12-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
HubrisHCC
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That could be were I was getting a bit confused. I thought the shorter belt opened the driven clutch faster. Which is how I figured the higher gear ratio came in. Then I thought a stiffer spring could possibly cancel that out. My cart has 20 inch wheels and does fine on the flats but can't even get up the ramp on the toy hauler. Lol.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You only have 9 hp to play with so the first thing you might want to do is check your compression. Anything under 100 psi would indicate that your engine needs some TLC, although 130 psi would be good. Clearly no amount of messing with clutches and belts is going to help is your engine is shot.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
HubrisHCC
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Very very true. I'm gonna have to really dig into this cart pretty soon. I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I'll post some info if I find some freak reason other than the obvious for this problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO