lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Shorter drive belt

Looking for the part number for either a Gates or a Dayco drive belt for my 88 Marathon.I want to go with the 1" shorter belt.I looked around on here and found a Dayco HP3004.Would that work?

I have my engine mounts and exhaust straightened out and it sounds good, but still struggles pretty badly uphill.I'm thinking my old belt might be worn narrower making it act like a longer belt.Plus I REALLY need to replace it.There are a few teeth missing and the odd cord sticking out the side.

Thanks again!I wouldn't have made it nearly this far without you guys
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Shorter drive belt

I have been using the HP3004 for over a year now and have had no problems. The little thing pulls my lardy old a$$ up every hill.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Woodchiper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Will that belt# work on a 91 marathon?
Woodchiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The answer is no as the 91 has a 3PG engine which has a shorter belt.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Thanks kindly Dave.I went to A&A today since they handle Dayco and man it was like $60.So I checked out Napa since the guys down there know me pretty good.They set me up with a Gates for $49.That was after they knocked off $5 for me.They were able to cross reference my old Polaris belt and found one just a bit shorter than stock.Turns out my old belt has about a quarter inch worn off the sides AND it was stretched.

I remember about 5 years ago when the original owner had the cart here it would pull every hill without sounding like it was struggling.It was slow, but sounded ok.So I expect with this belt it ought to run like a new cart.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm a bit confused on the shorter belt theory. How exactly does this help? I've been driving myself crazy figuring out ways to make the driven clutch open as late as possible to get more torque. Now I'm reading that a shorter belt, which will make the driven clutch open sooner, will give more torque.

I'm not arguing at all so no need to get all shitty about my question, I'm just trying to figure out how this works.

I have the 28 degree driven clutch, turned the drive clutch one position counterclockwise, and have a severe duty belt, 20x12-10 tires that are actually 19 inches tall and 13" wide with 12psi in them.
I have the governor set so the engine revs up to 5,000rpm at first,
(driven clutch engages at 2,200rpm)
the governor brings the rpm's back down to 3,300rpm cruising speed
As I start to climb a hill the engine will rev higher (5,200rpm max) depending on the load

Can someone please explain how the shorter belt helps? Maybe I can get more out of my little 350
Madman415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

**Typo**
The DRIVE clutch engages at 2,200rpm, I typed DRIVEN oops
Old 07-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I shimmed my Drive-Clutch 3/16" on my Marathon 2-stroke with a stock belt.It was a beast(nite/day difference with the shim).Bought the shorter-belt,it killed power.I think the shorter belt is best on a stock-clutched cart.I still have the shorter-belt hanging on the wall,maybe someone will need it someday.Madman,where in Upstate NY are you located?
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
I shimmed my Drive-Clutch 3/16" on my Marathon 2-stroke with a stock belt.It was a beast(nite/day difference with the shim).Bought the shorter-belt,it killed power.I think the shorter belt is best on a stock-clutched cart.I still have the shorter-belt hanging on the wall,maybe someone will need it someday.Madman,where in Upstate NY are you located?
Margaretville NY 12455
Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Ok, I got the belt on the other day.It was a hell of an effort.Almost seemed like putting a truck tire on the rim with crowbars.I'm wondering if something is wrong because of that, and the fact that once you get up to a good clip, the belt starts grabbing and actually feels like you're stomping the brake.It immediately goes away a second after even if you keep on the gas.The belt width is 1 and 3/16" by 43".It's a Gates belt and the number is 19T4300.I was going to go for a Dayco, but that was over $60 and would have had to be ordered.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO