lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Hardkor
Getting Wild

Default Jakes front axle issue

So I was attempting to bolt on my new jakes drop axle and the springs would not align properly. After placing the old axle in front of it I noticed the spring mounting plates were welded on at the wrong angle as you can see in the pics. I bought the kit from a member here and it came in the original box so I am going to give them the benefit of doubt and say the were not aware of the issue when they sold it to me. Question is what do I do now? What's the best way to solve the issue? Cut the plates off and reweld them? Anyone else ever have this problem?

Tapatalked
Hardkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
beater cart
Gone Wild

Default Re: Jakes front axle issue

Try flipping the axel around so that the springs mount on the other side of the axel if it fits swap your spindles and I believe the shocks will have a little wiggle room.
beater cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Hardkor
Getting Wild

Plates arent mounted flat. If I flipped it around the horizontal angle will be wrong. I think I am going to weld new plates to the existing ones at the correct angle.

Tapatalked
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I'd try what Beater suggested before re-welding them. The up/down angle they would be at shouldn't be an issue, if anything it may give you .5" or so more height...but don't hold me to it.
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If they are welded on tilted front to rear,that is to correct caster.If its' not positioned correctly,your steering won't be right.There is a front and back to the axle,your pic looks like its backwards.Don't worry about the shock-bracket position,they will flex.Also the shock-brackets will move the shocks back,if the axle is spun 180.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I have the same kit. You have it installed backwards. Is there a 'Jakes' sticker on the axle?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If they are welded on tilted front to rear,that is to correct caster(the tilt of the top of the spindle front to rear).If its' not positioned correctly,your steering won't be right.You ideally want the spindles vertical,or slightly back at the top(positive-caster)with the cart setting on the ground.keep in mind,that they will tilt back more when weight is added to the cart(driver,pass.,etc..).There is a front and back to the axle,your pic looks like its backwards.Don't worry about the shock-bracket position,they will flex.Also the shock-brackets will move the shocks back,if the axle is spun 180.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
I have the same kit. You have it installed backwards.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Hardkor
Getting Wild

There is a sticker on the axle. I have it facing forward. Right now the front of the spring plate is 3/4" higher than the rear of the plate. Flipping it around may work as the plates on the original axle are also tilted forward. My only concern is the steering geometry being correct and flipping the axle around with the plates tilted forward may actually negate some of the lift if I am thinking about it correctly.

Tapatalked
Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
Hardkor
Getting Wild

Tapatalked
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO