lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2021, 08:41 AM   #11
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Default Re: Dash Battery Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
You can check individual battery voltage without disconnecting them. If your voltmeter can read to 100ths of a volt, you will have a better idea of what is going on.

For instance, a fully charged 8 volt battery in good condition will read 8.49 volts, not 8.7. Inexpensive volt meters can give incorrect readings. I would say you are close to if not at full charge of 8.49 volts.

You can also use an inexpensive hydrometer to check your batteries physical health. See that all are well in the green range.
Well, after a full charge and the meter set for 200V, all batteries are showing 9.2. (There is o 100v setting on this meter).

Might look at that Hydrometer that you mentioned.

Thanks
Camaro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2021, 11:41 AM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Set the meter to 20V for checking each individual battery. It will give a more precise reading.

Also after charging the batteries, disconnect the charger and let the cart sit for 12 hours. Don’t drive it, just let it sit. When the cart is fresh off the charger, voltage readings are not really what they seem to be. You’re reading what’s called a surface charge. They will settle down to around 8.5v each battery.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #13
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Set the meter to 20V for checking each individual battery. It will give a more precise reading.

Also after charging the batteries, disconnect the charger and let the cart sit for 12 hours. Don’t drive it, just let it sit. When the cart is fresh off the charger, voltage readings are not really what they seem to be. You’re reading what’s called a surface charge. They will settle down to around 8.5v each battery.
Due I need to unlink the batteries from each other?
Old 11-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro69 View Post
Due I need to unlink the batteries from each other?
No. Just measure each battery individually.

When trying to diagnose a possible bad battery sometimes it’s helpful to use a piece of masking tape and number them 1-6. Then use a notebook and record voltages on batteries 1 through 6
Old 11-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #15
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

A battery can show perfect voltage just sitting there...You have to load test them and your cart is the best load tester...I just tested a cart where one of the batteries showed 8.5v but under load dropped to 3 volts...Put your meter on each battery and floor it...Do that for each battery and watch your meter...Any battery that drops below 7v is bad...If your meter has a high/low setting it makes it easier..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
A battery can show perfect voltage just sitting there...You have to load test them and your cart is the best load tester...I just tested a cart where one of the batteries showed 8.5v but under load dropped to 3 volts...Put your meter on each battery and floor it...Do that for each battery and watch your meter...Any battery that drops below 7v is bad...If your meter has a high/low setting it makes it easier..
Which is what I said in my first post as well drive the cart up a hill, pedal to the floor, not on flat ground. Labeling each battery makes it easy to keep them straight
Old 11-18-2021, 05:01 PM   #17
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Buy one of the digital dash meters like this..

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html

And get rid of the self watering system.....

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=171951
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #18
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Explain with the seat on and me seating how this can be done?
Old 11-18-2021, 09:51 PM   #19
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Buy one of the digital dash meters like this..

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html

And get rid of the self watering system.....

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=171951
I plan on buying that digital meter.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:58 PM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro69 View Post
Explain with the seat on and me seating how this can be done?
Put alligator clamps on your meter probes and clamp them onto the battery terminals. The seat isn’t gonna hurt the wires going to the meter.

No clamps? Zip ties can be used as well
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car