lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
landers96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 83 ezgo full power in reverse, not so much in forward

Hey guys, I have a 83 ezgo with the 244 robins motor. Yesterday while I was driving forward, the engine became sluggish and sounds like it wasn't getting enough gas. When i put it in reverse it has full power and runs great. Put it back into forward and it's sluggish again. ??????? Any idea's would be appreciated, thanks
Steve
landers96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
landers96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 83 ezgo full power in reverse, not so much in forward

It runs in forward, but the engine just doesn't "take off". It's more of a putter in forward, but full power in reverse.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Hmmm ... sounds like possibly a blown crank seal. First, jack up the rear wheels for safety, and remove the seat. Now, while turning it over (using the pedal, just like you were starting it to drive away) hold the throttle steady at a low idle and have a buddy spray some carb cleaner or WD40 at the rear of the engine where the crtankshaft exits the motor (between the engine block and clutch) - then do the same thing only spray the CC or WD into the front of the motor (fan) ... if either results in a change in RPM's, congrats - that particular crank seal is a goner ... Ether (starting fluid) works too, but that stuffs so volatile I can't recommend you use it.

Often when a seal goes the engine will still run normally in reverse, and that seems to fit your symptom pretty well. The upside is crank seals are $5 each, the downside is you have to pull the clutch to change the rear, or the front of the engine and flywheel to get at the front (neither are too difficult, but can be a hassle dependingon how long it's been since they were apart, and both require special tools to do, too)

Run the test(s) and let us know what happens, we can go from there. Good Luck!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
landers96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks brother.....kind of...lol.....I just did what you said to, jacked it up and sprayed carb cleaner into the seals and when I sprayed the rear on (between the clutch and block) the engine smoothed right out, rpms went up and sounded like a purring kitten. How hard is going to be to replace the seal? Are there any video's of it being done? Is there a how to guide somewhere? thanks for the help
Old 05-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Aw jeez, I was hoping we'd get to troubleshoot some more and find something easier, LOL ...

ALRIGHT, the first step is to get your hands on a clutch puller (which you can order from pretty much any cart supply for around $30-35) or you can search the forum for details on how to make one (if you have access to steel rod as well as the ability to cut it, etc then great, otherwise pop the $35 and get it over with) - the clutch puller spins in after you remove the bolt holding the clutch on (it's the big one in the center) and *POP* off comes the clutch ... Sometimes. Other times it involves a day or so with penetrating oil, etc, and language that would make a sailor blush.

LETS ASSUME the clutch comes off easily - now you're going to take a pair of screwdrivers and carefully pry the old seal out of the case and off the shaft (once you pry it out, it should slide off the end of the shaft easily).

Clean out the seat for the seal thoroughly, and apply a little dab of loctite to it, then lightly oil the shaft and slide the seal back on, carefully pressing it back into place (a little tap-action w a hammer CAREFULLY and evenly around the perimiter of the seal should get it in place for you ... Clutch back on, replace clutch bolt and tighten, and away you go.

There's your simple "How To" guide, LOL - I'm sure Dave will be along soon to take over with any deatils I've skipped - he LIKES doing pain in the a** stuff like seals, dunno why but he just does, hahahaha.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
landers96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I went and got the seal's today. $7 each. I then went and picked up some rod and 3/4 by fine thread bolt to pull the clutch. I then pulled the motor out. Not bad at all, besides having some rusted bolts rather easy. Then when I went to pull the clutch I noticed that the bolt was to big. So after some research on here I realize that the clutch is a comet aftermarket and need different bolt. So I'm gonna go get the bolt in the morning and pull the clutch and finally replace the seal.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO