lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Tormented96
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 plowmans clutch help

I have some how lost my instructions for installation of my plowmans clutch. I think it just goes on the same as it came off but not sure and I need the easiest way to compress the spring.

Please help please help
Tormented96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 plowmans clutch help

You're talking about the secondary correct?

Here's what I did:

Use a ratchet strap to compress the inner movable sheave. Wrap the nylon strap around the inner sheave, make sure to hook the ends securely and evenly so they don't slip off. Slowly ratchet it tighter and watch to make sure the inner sheave is compressing. No need to compress it fully, just enough to take tension off the outer sheave.

Next, loosen the castle nut, but leave it on a few threads. Then use your steering wheel puller and pull the outer sheave loose. Remove the nut, remove the outer sheave. Remove the woodruff key.

Then loosen the ratchet strap, remove the inner sheave and spring. Remove the inner helix, and remove the snap ring behind the helix.

Now install the spacer provided in the kit. Install the inner helix, spring, new inner sheave. Use ratchet strap again to compress the inner sheave. Install nylon spacer. Install outer sheave, woodruff key, and nut. Tighten down. Remove ratchet strap.

Install belt. Test drive. Enjoy more low end grunt!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
wheelstorejoe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'm having trouble getting the woodruff key to come off. I am ready to reassemble but can't get the key off! Anyone else have this issue and or a solution?
wheelstorejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Tormented96
Not Yet Wild

I have already removed stock sheaves but seems to be missing is a nylon spacer and the spacer. Not sure were they are or if they were ever there
Old 03-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelstorejoe View Post
I'm having trouble getting the woodruff key to come off. I am ready to reassemble but can't get the key off! Anyone else have this issue and or a solution?
wood dowel, hammer....give it a few taps, if it doesn't pop out, spray some penetrating oil on it.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormented96 View Post
I have already removed stock sheaves but seems to be missing is a nylon spacer and the spacer. Not sure were they are or if they were ever there
You don't really need that spacer. Mine broke and I took it off. It's just to spread the sheaves a little bit, but not using it won't affect the performance. Mine broke twice. Don't really know why it's there. Might put a call into Don Plowman and ask about it. I've been running without it for almost 2 years, last time I had it apart it didn't show any signs of wear or rubbing marks.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
Tormented96
Not Yet Wild

Do I really need the spring spacer
Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
wheelstorejoe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
wood dowel, hammer....give it a few taps, if it doesn't pop out, spray some penetrating oil on it.
Thanks tried a chisel, hammer penetrating oil. I'll just keep fighting!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
wheelstorejoe
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Finally got it off! The stinking woodruff key. Now to fight the rest of it! I am trying the come along to hold the secondary sheave to get the rest of the clutch together but it's a struggle!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormented96 View Post
Do I really need the spring spacer
Yes, if you don't use that little 1/2" spacer, the helix will ride against the trans housing/shaft area, won't spin right, and your spring tension won't be correct. You absolutely need that spacer, just make sure you remove the snap ring. The snap ring is what spaced the helix out away from the housing/shaft. The snap ring tends to break when you use a heavier spring with it, so you remove it and replace it with the spacer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha