lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #11
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: RXV moves slow with a grinding sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
No, not the whole motor. The encoder, or encoder bearing, depending which setup your Rxv has.

Danahar-based RXVs have a bearing with encoder inside the motor; motor has to come off and be taken apart and it's inside.

Curtis-based RXVs have an inductive speed sensor that does the same job, much easier to replace, motor stays on car, just remove the T30 torx screw and pop it out, put new one in. When this fails on a Curtis RXV the cart will not run at all, and the handheld will give an 'encoder fault' fault code.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #12
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You have a 2009 so chances are pretty good that the motor uses the encoder bearing. In my experience the motor rarely fails on the rxv carts.like stated earlier, pull the motor brake off and hand spin the axle to locate source of the noise.
Phil_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #13
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it is the encoder bearing it’s a nuisance but not the end of the world. The motor has to be removed.

I used ratchet tie down straps I have for my truck to support the weight of the motor while I removed it and reinstalled it in my cart. I was working through the bag well access so I would be way off balance trying to support the motor by hand.

There are like 6 bolts easily accessible, but blind, that attach the motor to the gearbox. If I remember correctly I used a 1/4” drive socket wrench.

There are 4 long, Allen wrench, bolts that hold the motor together. They had to be removed to allow the removal of the plate to which the bearing encoder is mounted into. The old bearing encoder popped right out. The new one slid in easily and I tapped it on the bearing race with a rubber mallet a couple of times to make sure it was properly seated.

Then I reversed the disassembly process to bolt it all back together.

All in all, it took me about 90 minutes, and 2 beers....
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO