lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
Walbaum
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What will high speed gears do to my 2012 RXV??

So I just bought an electric 2012 EZGO RXV. It's all stock and I'm looking to get the speed up to around 20 to 30 mph. Iv read allot about getting it programmed at an EZGO dealer and how hard that can be. Iv also come across these high speed gears. They range anywhere from 25 to 38 mph or so they say. Can I just install one of these high speed gears on my stock cart and get the results I'm looking for?? Any info is much appreciated.
Walbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2018, 02:03 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: What will high speed gears do to my 2012 RXV??

It will diminish hill climbing performance, will degrade braking performance, will cause controller and motor to run hotter, will reduce range. If yours is the 2012.5 with Curtis controller, it will make it horrible to drive/stop at low speeds (you will crack the drywall in your garage). I suggest against it, but if you must do it, the 10.5:1 ratio gears will be the least worst. NO 8:1 or 6:1!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbaum View Post
So I just bought an electric 2012 EZGO RXV. It's all stock and I'm looking to get the speed up to around 20 to 30 mph. Iv read allot about getting it programmed at an EZGO dealer and how hard that can be. Iv also come across these high speed gears. They range anywhere from 25 to 38 mph or so they say. Can I just install one of these high speed gears on my stock cart and get the results I'm looking for?? Any info is much appreciated.
The gears they speak of are for the gasoline fueled RXVs, not the electrics! If you do it, you will regret it! The electric motor cannot even pull a 10.5:1 gear set. I know, I bought the 10.5:1 gear set and it was a big mistake. It's worst than going with 23" tires with stock gears. You'll never have enough torque to reach the speeds that you can reach with stock gears and stock tires. You just cannot overcome that much of a torque loss. You'll end up going slower, not faster. And overheating the controller and motor in the process. cgtech warned me, like he tried to warn you, and I am thankful that he did.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
Walbaum
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks allot for the info guys. Looks like I'm looking for someone in my area with a passkey. I will have to check if I have the Danaher or Curtis controller.
Walbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbaum View Post
Thanks allot for the info guys. Looks like I'm looking for someone in my area with a passkey. I will have to check if I have the Danaher or Curtis controller.
There is no passkey for the Danaher, but there is for the Curtis. The passkey alone will get you to 17.5 MPG maximum without a handset to up the speed to 19.5 MPG. A dealer with a Danaher RXV handset can set the Danaher up to Freedom mode as well, you would have to ask what fee they would charge. I can program the Curtis RXV controllers ti increase performance and speed, and I do not use a passkey. It's all done with programming.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
ayoung
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 2010 rxv. I do not no what controller it has. I bought it 3 years ago and I put the highest speed gear I could get and I have 185x60x14 tires on it and not lifted. With my GPS it will run 41 mph on level road. I done this 3 years ago and the brakes work just fine at any speed and have not had any trouble what so ever. I am tickled with it.
ayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoung View Post
I have a 2010 rxv. I do not no what controller it has. I bought it 3 years ago and I put the highest speed gear I could get and I have 185x60x14 tires on it and not lifted. With my GPS it will run 41 mph on level road. I done this 3 years ago and the brakes work just fine at any speed and have not had any trouble what so ever. I am tickled with it.
Neither the Danaher (the stock controller in a 2010 RXV) or the aftermarket Curtis 350 Amp upgrade controller are capable of driving a stock 4.4KW RXV rear axle to 41 MPH on a level grade with the existing programming. It would take a much higher nominal pack voltage, a lot more current, ie a Curtis 1236/8 EV controller, or a downhill slope with speed gears to accomplish that sort of speed. It is not within the capabilities of the average RXV, so please don't give others false hope. 185x60-14 tires are about 7.2" wide and 22.638" in diameter. According to a prior post you said you have a 2011 RXV with 12" wheels and 12" radial street tires that runs 40. Which is it?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #8
ayoung
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I was wrong on the model I looked and it is a 2011. When I bought it it had 12 inch wheels and a guy came in the campground with the 14 inch wheels and I traded wheels and gave him $100 and it had low profile tires and I sold the tires that was on it and the 185x60x14. I have a volt meter on it that tells the volts all the time. I do not care what you say but their are 4 RXV here at the campground in Myrtle Beach and all will run 40 to 41 mph. I DON'T whether you believe me or not but that is what it will run. Come down here and I will show you.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoung View Post
I was wrong on the model I looked and it is a 2011. When I bought it it had 12 inch wheels and a guy came in the campground with the 14 inch wheels and I traded wheels and gave him $100 and it had low profile tires and I sold the tires that was on it and the 185x60x14. I have a volt meter on it that tells the volts all the time. I do not care what you say but their are 4 RXV here at the campground in Myrtle Beach and all will run 40 to 41 mph. I DON'T whether you believe me or not but that is what it will run. Come down here and I will show you.

Oh I know the speed is possible... It's just not typical. I have little experience with the Danaher controllers VCL, but have seen many Danaher controllers fail from overheat from tires too large. I documented the conversions of Danaher to the more robust Curtis controllers, since Danaher controllers are harder to source since they were obsoleted. I carry a Danaher RXV handset as well for helping those with Danaher controllers.

Being intimitely familiar with the EZ-GO VCL (Vehicle Control Language) that is used in the Curtis RXV controllers, using that low of a gearing, AND large tires, will put a Curtis RXV controller into severe conflict with trying to calculate correct motor current at the extremely lower RPM range that it will have to operate in. I was a Factory level Curtis OEM, designed electric vehicles and controllers for about 15 years. Some of the heavy equipment controllers sold by Curtis were designed by me.

I may stop by Myrtle Beach to visit while passing through the next time I'm going that way. I travel the southeastern US helping modern cart owners with diagnostics and reprogramming controllers with a Development level Curtis programming station.

Bob
Old 07-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #10
ayoung
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have no idea who Bob Boyce is and do not care. I bought this golf cart in Fl. and it came from Ind. and I took it to NC and I go to N. Myrtle Beach a lot. I am a 76 Year old male and I no how fast my cart will run regardless of what he says. I put the high speed gears in it myself and when I bought it the person I got it from turned it up with his computer. It still has the regen on it because I have a volt meter on it and when I slow down you can see the volts go up and if you put on brakes it will go up as much as 55 volts depending on how fast you are going, I love my cart and have had no trouble with it what so ever. As I said before their are 3 or 4 others that will run 40 to 41 MPH and we all have the same gears and tires on our carts.

Tags
2012, ezgo, rxv, speed gears, speed upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO