lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
not-so-ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Question 96 Medalist - Shock recommendations.

My 1996 Medalist/txt has stock tires and is not lifted(for now). I am considering getting shocks to stabilize it when carrying 6-700# of people and gear. My routes are all paved cart paths in the campground.

I am considering either HD springs or the coilover shocks.

Unfortunately I am not finding lots of information to know which to choose and why.

I am concerned with making it too rough of a ride to enjoy.

TIA
not-so-ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
not-so-ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 96 Medalist - Shock recommendations.

Well I guess this is when I wish There was a Scotty and Johnny for springs and shocks. lol

Just hoping my comment gets someone to share thoughts on this.

What would you pick, and Why?

:)
Old 09-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My TXT is a factory built 4 pax cart. Rear facing back seat. I'm the original owner. It came with 4 leaf rear springs. It was always a little unstable with 2 adults on the back at speed (17mph +or -) with the original 8" wheels and turf tires. Now after 48v upgrade and 10" wheels and low profile tires it is much more stable at speed even past 22-23 mph.
I also have a late model RXV similarly equipped but much faster. It has 2 stage (also called dual rate) rear springs. It is more stable even at 24+ mph. Also low pro tires. Neither is lifted.

My conclusion: You need some sort of beefed up spring in the rear if you intend to carry much weight back there. They will help reduce the rear sag when loaded and help to keep weight on the already light front end. The two stage springs are better IMO 'cause the unloaded ride is compromised less. My TXT is 18 years old and has original springs and shocks. It is more stable now than ever all because of tires (less sidewall flex). Shocks on golf carts are really dampers. I don't think changing them will make any difference.

YMMV. My carts are pavement queens and built for speed and range. Low profile tires will increase ride harshness on pavement. Everything is a compromise.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your Medalist is 22 years old. Have you inspected/replaced the rear leaf spring bushings? Have you checked front wheel toe in?

New rear spring bushings and a front alignment could greatly improve ride and stability issues. New gas shocks front rear made a world of difference on my 96 TXT which I believe has the same suspension as a Medalist. If so, get 4 rear shocks for a 1970 Ford Pinto. If your Medalist has std rear springs a new set of the two stage HD springs would be a good first step along with alignment and rear bushings.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
not-so-ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
Your Medalist is 22 years old. Have you inspected/replaced the rear leaf spring bushings? Have you checked front wheel toe in?

New rear spring bushings and a front alignment could greatly improve ride and stability issues. New gas shocks front rear made a world of difference on my 96 TXT which I believe has the same suspension as a Medalist. If so, get 4 rear shocks for a 1970 Ford Pinto. If your Medalist has std rear springs a new set of the two stage HD springs would be a good first step along with alignment and rear bushings.
Our suspension is the same.

I am not sure of the best way to check toe in.

I was planning on the bushings when I do the springs, but based on this I may not need the springs?

Regular gas shocks or air shocks to adjust pressure for the pinto?

Do car shocks make a difference? I would think they would be too stiff?
Old 09-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-so-ezgo View Post
Our suspension is the same.

I am not sure of the best way to check toe in.

I was planning on the bushings when I do the springs, but based on this I may not need the springs?

Regular gas shocks or air shocks to adjust pressure for the pinto?

Do car shocks make a difference? I would think they would be too stiff?
There are some good forum threads on here on how to adjust toe in. With EZGO Medalist/TXT for me and friends I have found 1/8" toe in to be a good setting for the straight axle. This guide is from one of our sponsor vendors.
https://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/g...ent-reference/

Front toe in alignment isn't very noticeable until you get above 12+/- mph. More noticeable too when other suspension or steering parts are worn and especially when you tip the front end up with a lot of weight over or behind the rear axle.

If you have never replaced the rear springs you should. I would go for the dual rate HD springs others have mentioned. Springs sag over time and end up changing your handling.

Not air shocks. All automotive shocks are now charged with nitrogen or similar gas instead of allowing air in for compression space. They work better longer that way. The nitrogen is under slight pressure. Not enough to really change your spring rates but enough to give a little "sport" feel to a standard suspension. I recommend the Pinto shocks because that is about the lightest car that uses shocks of the same configuration as a TXT or Medalist. Ford Mustang rear shocks (196 work too but are a little longer and a little stiffer.

If you prefer Gabriel shocks, they only offer one, oem style shock for the '70's Pintos. It is not heavy duty but better than the oil/air oem EZGO shocks.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #7
not-so-ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Rooster!
Old 09-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #8
dvmartin
Getting Wild

Look at this thread

The shocking truth, Monroe 31069, KYB 34313

Have replaced shocks on 4 carts and the KYB seem to be the best.

DVM
dvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO