lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
Btenney
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 ezgo rxv brake will not release

Have a 09 rxv
*** brake won’t release I have the danaher programmer

Showing no error codes
The brake releases if I swap the plugs it will roll but when I try to run the cart it runs but not fast and soon as ya let off the gas you go thru the windsheild
Btenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 ezgo rxv brake will not release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btenney View Post
Have a 09 rxv
*** brake won’t release I have the danaher programmer

Showing no error codes
The brake releases if I swap the plugs it will roll but when I try to run the cart it runs but not fast and soon as ya let off the gas you go thru the windsheild
Replace the motor brake with an OEM replacement...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301992451277

Great price as well.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
Btenney
Not Yet Wild

Already put a new brake on.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

New OEM brake? Where it was from? Aftermarket are definitely not equal to OEM brake. Overtightened the 3 installation bolts? It's easy to do, and usually destroys the brake before its corrected. Bolts just get tightened up enough to fully compress the lock washers.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
Btenney
Not Yet Wild

I would say brake but the brake releases when swapping plug 2 and 3 without issue
Old 12-29-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
I would say brake but the brake releases when swapping plug 2 and 3 without issue
You mean the way that applies 2x the voltage normally used, yeah I would say it should.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:31 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
That is not a valid reason to assume that the motor brake is ok and will work just because it unlocks when you swap the motor brake bypass jumpers... It is not the same as operating it with the controller. When swapping plugs, you are direct wiring the motor brake to the battery pack with a 10 amp fuse for a current limit. The controllers motor brake output cannot deliver more than 3 Amps to the motor brake without burning out the motor brake control FET. It PWMs the motor brake output to lower the voltage applied to the motor brake. The current drawn by the motor brake is measured during powerup testing. The HD motor brakes will fail that test and eventually burn out your controller because it draws more Amps than the controller can deliver. You wonder why the cart is not passing the powerup test... It's because the controller is telling you that something is failing that test, and you are not listening.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
rngilliland
Gone Wild

The first time I replaced my brake I soon had the same symptoms you describe. The brake was dragging but the cart still worked. I was playing golf and kept going. About ten holes later the dragging stopped. The brake disc got so hot it shattered. When I replaced it I made sure not to over tighten the bolts and that I followed the alignment procedure. I haven't had any problems since.

If the brake you put on is an OEM brake you can try reinstalling it. I remove the brake. Clean the end of the motor and brake with a wire brush. Make sure the three bolts are in good condition. The pressure plate in the brake slides on the bolts so any corrosion or damage to the bolts can keep it from releasing. Install the brake and loosely install the first two bolts. The third bolt is usually hard to align and get started so I hook up the brake, put the cart in neutral with the tow switch in tow to get it started. Tighten the bolts until the heads almost touch the lock washers. Then flip the tow switch from tow to run and back to tow a few times. Stop with the switch in tow and tighten the bolts evenly. I use 30 in/lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench only tighten them until the lock washers are just compressed.

If that doesn't help the brake is probably already damaged and you need a new one.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #9
Btenney
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I’ll give that a try tomorrow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO