lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Default New Purchase Alert! 2008 EZGO RXV - First Time Cart Owner

Hey new fam,

Rob here! Just relocated down to the Lake Wylie, SC area from New York City. My wife and I are about to close on our new home purchase in just a few weeks.

In an effort to embrace southern living we went out and brought our first golf cart.

Its a 2008 EzGo RXV in Black. It has 4 x 2018 12v Trojan Batteries. It also has some upgrades. Bumper Guard, LED Bar, 6 inch Lift, 23 Inch AT Tires with 12 inch rims, seat belts, 12v Voltage reducer, Rear seat with cup rests, extended roof, and a new Auto Shut Off Charger.

When I initial test drove it the cart was great, minus some rattling from loose bolt on the extended roof supports. It tops out at 23-25mph, going to be great for the hilly area.

One thing i did notice and after a quick search I found that I am not the only one. At the high speeds, I noticed that the steering is very shaky left to right. IDK if that comes from just being lifted and big AT Tires or there is another problem at hand. I do need to replace the passenger rear tire from wear. The previous owner hit a nail and got a very slow leak.

Some things i read to check were to check all the bolts in the front suspension and confirm they are all nice and tight. Also read that the Steering Rack will most likely need to be replaced. It sucks I didn't notice this during the test drive but it comes with not buying from a dealer.

All in all its a great first cart and I look forward to many blood, sweat and tears trying to make it a great cart and a solid Beer Cooler carrier to the pool.

If you guys don't mind, let me know your thoughts on the steering. I am new to Golf Cart repair and urging to learn how this things work and I know this forum will get me there.

Thanks for reading
Rob

Do to not being registered on here long enough, I cannot post pictures. They have been though posted to an album on here if you would like to check them out. Currently the cart is being stored in a friends garage until we move into our new home in 2 weeks.
rob_c28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: New Purchase Alert! 2008 EZGO RXV - First Time Cart Owner

23" tires are generally considered too much for a stock Rxv, especially on hills. Steering wear is common on Rxv with lift kits. Be especially sure to keep the batteries & wiring clean with baking soda and water, then rinse with plain water, that model year is prone to corrosion in the harness.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info!!

What size tires do you recommend? Can I put Low profile tires on a Lifted Cart? I would expect that low profiles would be a smoother ride.

You say RSV are know for steering wear. Do you mean on the steering rack? Or other areas of the suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
23" tires are generally considered too much for a stock Rxv, especially on hills. Steering wear is common on Rxv with lift kits. Be especially sure to keep the batteries & wiring clean with baking soda and water, then rinse with plain water, that model year is prone to corrosion in the harness.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_c28 View Post
Thanks for the info!!

What size tires do you recommend? Can I put Low profile tires on a Lifted Cart? I would expect that low profiles would be a smoother ride.

You say RSV are know for steering wear. Do you mean on the steering rack? Or other areas of the suspension?
I have seen wear in the rack on several lifted Rxv in the past. If you want to keep the lift, and keep all stock electronics, I would get my next set of tires a little smaller (like 20" overall diameter). Due to the increased flexibility of the Curtis controller Rxv (2012.5 and newer), plus better parts availability, I much prefer those models.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Rob don’t forget the steering basics
Make everything is thighs including wheel bearings. Tires balanced more so on oversized tires. Last check front end alighnment
If cart has set for a long period, more so with bias tires they can get a flat spot. If so slightly over pressurizing tires (their max psi) along with use will remove flat spot if the cause
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both for the advice!

Whats the best way to tell if the steering rack would need to be replaced?

I am assuming that tire balancing will need to be done by a dealership.

I don't think the cart was sitting to long but I will definitely check pressure.

I should also add that the steering wheel is complete off center when the wheels are straight. I was planing on aligning the wheels then removing the steering wheel and putting it back on straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Rob don’t forget the steering basics
Make everything is thighs including wheel bearings. Tires balanced more so on oversized tires. Last check front end alighnment
If cart has set for a long period, more so with bias tires they can get a flat spot. If so slightly over pressurizing tires (their max psi) along with use will remove flat spot if the cause
Old 01-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

The first thing I would check before buying any replacement parts is the toe in adjustment of the front. Need to adjust it to 1/8" toe in for it to drive straight.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:04 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Try and find the Owner's, Service and Parts manuals in the Stickies.

The Service manual should tell you everything you need as far as what to adjust, and the Parts manual will tell you the parts' names, in case you need to replace them.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In the order of easiest to most difficult...

* Make sure tires are properly inflated.
* Make sure any grease fittings on the front end are actually greased.
* Lift the front, one corner at a time, and check the wheel for excess play front/back and also up/down.
* Check the alignment.

I had an older cart that was not maintained by the prior owner, steering was hideous at 22 to 23mph. Turns out the front end hadn't been greased in ages, a few pumps of the grease gun and it was a blast to drive.

Good luck!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:14 PM   #10
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Agree,download manual from stickies for alignment process.
Your steering wheel being off center is easily corrected but only do after alignment..
I use the string method to align right front tire tire so it was straight with right rear tire
Once done to not move steering wheel, then adjust tie rod so you have 1/8” toe in. Front wheels pointing in 1/8” with tape measure. Measurement between front of front tires should be 1/8” less then measurement between rear of front tires. That is toe in. No special tools needed. Front tire tread wear can also indicate if alighnment is off. This if all front end,bearings,ect are tight.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO