lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
RoadRunnerTR21
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2009 RXV Rear axle oil seal

I've been looking at this site for some time and have really enjoyed the information exchange. But it has come time for me to ask for some info/help. I am replacing both rear axle oil seal and bearings. My oil seal and bearings will arrive on Monday. I've got everything ready to go except for one thing. I cannot get the oil seals out. I have researched this forum at infinitum on the best way to extract these seals. I've gone to the local auto parts store and borrowed some of their pullers but it won't fit in the ID hole. Now I have 2 questions. Since I don't have my new seals, can someone describe the material used to make these seals? Is it hard plastic and rubber or does it have any metal? My second question is what techniques can I use to extract the seals? Thanks!
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
JigginJim77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 RXV Rear axle oil seal

There is metal within the rubber of the seal. Hate to ask the obvious, but did you remove the inner C clip? I used a small tool with a hook end to remove my seals( see pic). Be careful not to scratch the inside of the axle shaft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_16048.jpg (47.5 KB, 0 views)
JigginJim77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
RoadRunnerTR21
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 RXV Rear axle oil seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigginJim77 View Post
There is metal within the rubber of the seal. Hate to ask the obvious, but did you remove the inner C clip? I used a small tool with a hook end to remove my seals( see pic). Be careful not to scratch the inside of the axle shaft.
I don't take offense at asking the obvious. Yes, I did remove the second C clip.

I am happy to report that I just got both of them out. I used a modified technique that someone described in the sticky section. They drilled 2 pilot holes in the seal 180 degrees apart from each other and put 2 screws in each pilot hole. Then they said they used channel locks to pull the seal out. Mine were really stuck and the channel locks didn't work. After studying the situation, I realized I could take a small pry bar and catch the head of each screw and pull the seal out a little at a time working from side to side. Worked like a champ! Now just waiting on my parts to arrive and I can put this thing back together. My dog misses his cart ride.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO