lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Lost going forward then reverse

Very odd series(not the cart) of events last night

Driving home yesterday on the street I did not see and dip/bumpin the road at night. We had three total in the golf cart with most of the weight in the passenger side. I hit a dip/bump on the drivers side wheels, as we went over the dip and then over the bump due to the weight the drivers side rear lost traction.

The although I was pressing the gas at the moment the cart immediately locked up and came to a screeching halt as if I had pressed on the brakes. We were not able to go forward or reverse from there.

My friends and I started to push the cart in neutral and one of them said just try it again and it seemed at first the pedal had a decreased response to the motor but we were able to go forward. For example it was very slow to start moving and the longer I kept the pedal pushed it then almost began to make the cart move forward.

At that moment it drove great however I avoided stopping to get home. Here is what’s interesting, we came an intersection where I had to stop and we could get the cart to go in forward however reverse worked somehow.

We pushed the remaining 1/4 mile home. We left it off for about one minute and I tried to reverse- didn’t work, then tried forward and it did work! With the wife mad I broke the cart “again” I let it sit in the garage.

What did I damage loosing traction like that to cause the wheels to lock up and then alternate between going forward and backwards.

Ezgo txt with a custom high speed motor from EMP, Alltrax 500 controller, super duty solenoid, large gauge wires, 42v, no large tires but do have back seat installed
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lost going forward then reverse

Is it a series drive? Do you have the mechanical FNR switch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Assuming "2007 Ezgo TXT PDS cart" from your signature
Is the Alltrax XCT giving any blink code when the cart will not go?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It’s a PDS cart, and today it is acting as if it never even happened! Forward and reverse both work!

I have not moved it more than a 100 yards because I don’t want to break down. Not sure what to check before I give it a green like to use on longer distances. Especially since it’s street legal and the wife takes it all the time for errands. I would be a deadman
Old 02-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'd be driving the heck out of it, carrying a cell phone, with the wife on standby with a rope in the car, to try and get an error code. I wouldn't drive too fast, if it acts like the brakes are locking up. If it were mine, I'd assume mechanical brakes failing at the same time as an electrical problem is unlikely, and would blame braking on regen and/or run-away condition. Did the beeper beep?

You might check/eliminate the four wire Molex plug pictured below. It can cause intermittent problems with the ITS and/or the pedal microswitch, both of which might account for regen braking, followed by weird throttle response and intermittent operation.

EDIT: Make sure you put run/tow in tow if you have to tow it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Molex.jpeg (254.5 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Drove it around a few miles. Here is what I have gathered

Definitely not a brake related issue.
Acceleration, top speed and ability to climb a hill are all present and normal.

It is definitely a throttle issue. I am having a hard time determining if
1) it’s a loose wire
2) or a sensor relating throttle position
I was able to slightly reproduce symptoms only once after going over a speed bump where I let off the gas and pressed the brake to slow over the bumper(it’s a large bump made to go over at 10mph not the kind that you have to slow to 1mph to creep over) and then when I pressed the throttle all the way down and nothing happened for about two seconds then the third second felt as if I was slowly pressing the throttle and the went from a slow acceleration to full.

I went up a steep grade hill we have nearby and nothing, and I went over about 7 more bumps and could not have the same issue reproduce.

I do recall it rained on Friday evening while we were driving the cart. It was a quick Florida sun shower that lasted 10 minutes, I realized now maybe that could be the culprit for the issues I had on Friday but I would imagine it should dry out by today(Sunday).

I found this in the alltrax manual :
Roll Detect function must be selected, and the motor equipped with a speed sensor for roll detect braking function to operate.

That does sound like what activated on Friday night. However the throttle issue afterward must have been a coincidence having two issues at once?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I'd be driving the heck out of it, carrying a cell phone, with the wife on standby with a rope in the car, to try and get an error code. I wouldn't drive too fast, if it acts like the brakes are locking up. If it were mine, I'd assume mechanical brakes failing at the same time as an electrical problem is unlikely, and would blame braking on regen and/or run-away condition. Did the beeper beep?

You might check/eliminate the four wire Molex plug pictured below. It can cause intermittent problems with the ITS and/or the pedal microswitch, both of which might account for regen braking, followed by weird throttle response and intermittent operation.

EDIT: Make sure you put run/tow in tow if you have to tow it.
I think roll protection activates the beeper, thus my question to you. You also didn't answer anything about the Molex.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #8
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I think roll protection activates the beeper, thus my question to you. You also didn't answer anything about the Molex.
My apologies, the night it happened we had loud music playing and the tires locking up and screeching was such a loud combination, I can not remember if it beeped or not.

I see in the picture of the molex but where is it? Under the pedal assemble or near the controller? It’s a 2007 PDS and I think it may have been eliminated by the previous owner. Best wire to trace to find it?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

May have been eliminated, but follow the four wire cable from the throttle box to the wiring harness. Usually in front of controller, as in pic.

Good luck. Intermittent problems are a b!tch.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradconrad View Post
My apologies, the night it happened we had loud music playing and the tires locking up and screeching was such a loud combination, I can not remember if it beeped or not.

I see in the picture of the molex but where is it? Under the pedal assemble or near the controller? It’s a 2007 PDS and I think it may have been eliminated by the previous owner. Best wire to trace to find it?
Others can tell you if regen can actually lock up the tires enough to "screech", then come back to life.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO