lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #31
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Drop axle lift, tires rub on turns

I question if in your photos you actually have the front springs bolted up in place on top of the axle. It sure looks to me like you have the driver side spring somewhat into position and the passenger side still in its original position.

The ST spindles have a taller arm where the tie rods connect to the spindle than the TXT model spindle like I have. For a TXT with stock spindles the lift supplier provides some arms that extend the tie rod connection point upward above the leaf springs. You can see the spindle extensions at the bottom of page one in the instructions linked below:
http://www.americanliftkits.com/cont...%20UPDATED.pdf

Your ST spindles should be tall enough to allow the tie rods to pass above the springs over to the steering arm. They may not be quite as tall as the lift kit extensions I am using but they should be pretty close. But I don't think you can confirm that until you properly remove both front springs and mount them above the axle, then tighten everything down on the axle and the frame ends of the springs. I could be wrong but the ST spindles appear to be tall enough.

Before you do the final tightening check the method in post one of this thread to make sure your front end is square.

From the looks of your broken and repaired axle you might be better off to get a new drop axle from someone like AllSports.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...placement.html
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2019, 09:19 AM   #32
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If there still isn't enough clearance for the tie rods you could add a spacer approximately 1" thick between the spring and top of the axle to get it up high enough. Otherwise, you may need to just start over with a proper lift kit and undo what the previous owner did halfway.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #33
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for your help Rooster. You are correct that I only had done the one side in the photo. I haven't yet had time to go further as we had out of town friends come for a visit after I got the one side done.

The ST spindles are plenty tall enough. It appears to me that the steering arm is actually too long. If it were an inch shorter there would be no interference. It makes me question if I would have the same issue with another drop axle lift.

The repair on the existing axle is actually a pretty solid weld and though it doesn't look like it in the photo, the angle is right. Ultimately, if I have to, I'll replace the axle, but there are a number of other priorities I have to deal with before I have the budget to go that route. I may give the spacer a shot and see if that may work.

The steering arm length gets me. The way it is setup, the tie rods are not straight in line with one another; they're more angling down from the spindle arms forming kind of an 'A' shape.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #34
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would wait until you put the other side on top too before you make any decisions. If you look at Rooster's pic his tie rods are very close to horizontal with his leaf springs mounted on top the axle, where yours are forming a "V" because the springs are below the axle, your tie rod angles are how a regular (non ST) txt looks. It doesn't look like it would work with only one side on top because the geometry of the cart leaning is making your tie rod hit the driver side spring but once you get the passenger side lifted you would probably be looking like Roosters. Also if you look at Rooster's bottom shock mounts they are longer than yours so you'll probably need longer shocks or extensions. (This is just my assumption from looking at all the pictures)
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #35
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Going to require spindle arm risers

I have both springs attached to the top of the drop axle. It appears that the only way this arrangement will work is with the spindle arm risers that seem to be included with most of the drop-axle lift kits. With everything mounted on the top of the axle the tie rods are EXACTLY in plane with the springs, either top or bottom. I can see how the bolt-on risers would raise it up to clear the springs.

So far, I haven't been able to find a reasonable price for a pair of spindle risers. It appears that a pair of risers alone is nearly $120. The complete kit is $150...

If anyone knows where to buy a pair of just the risers for a reasonable price, please let me know.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. I wish there were a better solution other than a whole new kit.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #36
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post a pic of your setup. It sure looked like the ST spindles would be high enough. My tie rods at rest are fairly close to the tops of the springs. I can't get my fingers between the spring and tie rods. The springs and tie rods have never made contact over some very uneven terrain.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #37
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I went ahead and dropped it back down to the bottom of the axle for now. Either above or below the springs the tie rods wouldn't even go into the spindle arms; the springs were in perfect plane with where the tie rods go. I am thinking that I will ultimately go with a complete new kit; I cannot find the risers for less than $52 each.

I also learned while the shock absorbers were disconnected, that they are not really functioning. I plan on ultimately getting a new lift kit and shocks as the cart piggy bank gets a little heavier...

Tags
drop axle, fender, rubbing, tires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO