lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
wakeworld
Not Yet Wild

Default knocking sound coming from the rear end

Who's there? :) I've got a knocking sound coming from what sounds like the rear end of my 1997 EZGO and I can't figure out what's causing it. It started out as one knock every few hundred feet of driving whether or not I was accelerating. Now it seems to have gotten more frequent and a little more violent sounding when going up hill.

The motor has been rebuilt by Plum Quick and that didn't make a difference. I checked the hub/axle splines and I see no wear on them. I took apart the rear end and can't find any gears that look damaged. There was plenty of oil in there. There isn't even much play in the rear end gears. If I jack it up and hold one wheel, the other wheel has less than an inch of play back and forth before it moves the wheel on the other side. That inch is measured on the outside of my 22" tires, so that doesn't seem like much play to me. Neither of the outside bearings seem to be bad or dry since they both seem to spin quietly and smoothly.

Any ideas??
wakeworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Knock Knock

i would have thought loose lugs, but then with all the stuff you've done I would think you'd have found that by now.

Does the click correspond to anything? Turning, decelerating, accelerating, anything?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
wakeworld
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
i would have thought loose lugs, but then with all the stuff you've done I would think you'd have found that by now.

Does the click correspond to anything? Turning, decelerating, accelerating, anything?
Lugs were all tight. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the middle of the cart.

At first is did not correspond to anything. It would just knock every once in a while even while just cruising on flat road, almost like there was a rock in the rear end that would occasionally be picked up by the oil and flung across the casing. However, lately it has gotten more frequent when not under acceleration and even more loud and frequent while under acceleration going up a hill.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

when you mounted the new motor, did you notice the splines on the male and female halves of the input shaft? Did they look good at that time?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Oh, now that you mentioned it... When you replace a motor, you have to remove the rubber "bumper" from inside the motor female splines and put it in the new motor. Did you do this?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
wakeworld
Not Yet Wild

I do not recall doing that. It was a rebuild, so I'm assuming anything that was on the motor would have remained on the motor. Also, it was making the knocking noise before and after I had the motor rebuilt.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #7
wakeworld
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
when you mounted the new motor, did you notice the splines on the male and female halves of the input shaft? Did they look good at that time?
It was about a year ago when I put the motor in (don't use it much), but I'm pretty sure I would have inspected those because one of the reasons I had the motor rebuilt was that I suspected it was causing the noise. Unless the splines are really hard to see, I would think I would have checked them out.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm putting my 2 cents on the "rubber bumper" missing/broken... had the EXACT same issue on a neighbors 98 TxT.....

What you are looking for is a piece of rubber about the size of a standard pencil eraser that fits in the hole in the center of the motor side of the splined shaft.

His didnt have one, put one in, and the noise was gone !
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
wakeworld
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTurbo View Post
I'm putting my 2 cents on the "rubber bumper" missing/broken... had the EXACT same issue on a neighbors 98 TxT.....

What you are looking for is a piece of rubber about the size of a standard pencil eraser that fits in the hole in the center of the motor side of the splined shaft.

His didnt have one, put one in, and the noise was gone !
Well, since I'm out of any other ideas, I will give this a shot. Can you order just that rubber piece?
Old 04-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #10
rib33024

This is what you need. They sell singles

https://www.golfcartking.com/ezgo-spline-bumper/
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO