lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
Grizzlybare
Not Yet Wild

Default Removal of speed sensor 2005 ezgo PDS

I’m a newbie, but have determined from this forum that the speed sensor on my 2005 Ezgo PDS cart is either bad or needs cleaning. Suddenly the speed went to half. My check of the code tells me it’s the sensor. My dilemma is the sensor has no apparent fixtures that hold it to the motor, no clip or anything. I haven’t removed the rear body, but am able to view the sensor from the side above the rear driver’s wheel. I have taken a photo, but not familiar with how to post it.

I think I’ve pretty well described it without the benefit of the photo. Can anyone advise how this detaches from the motor? And if it’s likely removed and replaced without removal of the body? Thanks ahead!
Grizzlybare is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Removal of speed sensor 2005 ezgo PDS

First you need a good set of snap ring pliers. Take the left rear tire off and you should be able to see the sensor on the end of the motor. Squeeze the ring smaller and pull it out. Sensor should slide out.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

This might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speed sensor - exploded view.JPG (28.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
Grizzlybare
Not Yet Wild

I did find a circlip and was able to remove the sensor. It was clean against the intact clean magnet. The screw that holds the magnet is still shiny and new. When I got it back together the cart took off at high speed for 10’ then dropped back to low speed.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Did you make sure the single screw that holding the magnet disk in place is good and tight?

Is the inner snap ring positioned correctly? (In the inner grove)

Try unplugging J5 (3 Pin plug near bottom), spray cleaning and re-plugging.

Check the voltages on J5 while it is plugged in.
Pin-1 (Black wire) is negative reference.
Pin-3 (Red wire is positive, should be about 12-15V.
Pin-2 is signal. Positive going 5V pulses occurring 4 times per armature revolution.

Check for broken wires in gray cable to speed sensor.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
Grizzlybare
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Did you make sure the single screw that holding the magnet disk in place is good and tight?

Is the inner snap ring positioned correctly? (In the inner grove)

Try unplugging J5 (3 Pin plug near bottom), spray cleaning and re-plugging.

Check the voltages on J5 while it is plugged in.
Pin-1 (Black wire) is negative reference.
Pin-3 (Red wire is positive, should be about 12-15V.
Pin-2 is signal. Positive going 5V pulses occurring 4 times per armature revolution.

Check for broken wires in gray cable to speed sensor.
Everything seems to check out. Every once in awhile the cart takes off at normal speed then cuts to slow? Is there a way to bypass the sensor? Could it be the controller? I’m at a loss.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

On flat ground or a hill with someone in the cart, key on, fnr in F, release the brake and let it roll.. Within a few feet it should start beeping and try to slow itself down. If not, bad sensor or controller. Have you tested for error codes? Key off, neutral to reverse 5 times ending in N. Cart should beep 1-4 beeps depending on what chip is in it. Drive it and listen for codes.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybare View Post
Everything seems to check out. Every once in awhile the cart takes off at normal speed then cuts to slow? Is there a way to bypass the sensor? Could it be the controller? I’m at a loss.
The speed sensor cannot be bypassed on a stock PDS controller, but they can be on some of the aftermarket controllers.

Speed sensors themselves tend to either be good or bad and the other possibilities I mentioned (loose magnet disk and out of position) tend not to cause intermittent symptoms, so my guess is the controller.

Suggest you replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS (or larger) controller, which is user programmable and the speed sensor output (Motor RPM) is one of the parameters that can be monitored.

The XCT also has an adjustable speed limit, so the 18 MPH max imposed by the stock PDS controller (in freedom mode) can be exceeded. A PDS motor will push the cart along at speeds approaching 24 MPH with a 36V battery pack and faster with 42V or 48V packs.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
On flat ground or a hill with someone in the cart, key on, fnr in F, release the brake and let it roll.. Within a few feet it should start beeping and try to slow itself down. If not, bad sensor or controller. Have you tested for error codes? Key off, neutral to reverse 5 times ending in N. Cart should beep 1-4 beeps depending on what chip is in it. Drive it and listen for codes.
FWIW: The walkaway safety feature is active whenever the Run/Tow is in Run.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #10
Grizzlybare
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The speed sensor cannot be bypassed on a stock PDS controller, but they can be on some of the aftermarket controllers.

Speed sensors themselves tend to either be good or bad and the other possibilities I mentioned (loose magnet disk and out of position) tend not to cause intermittent symptoms, so my guess is the controller.

Suggest you replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS (or larger) controller, which is user programmable and the speed sensor output (Motor RPM) is one of the parameters that can be monitored.

The XCT also has an adjustable speed limit, so the 18 MPH max imposed by the stock PDS controller (in freedom mode) can be exceeded. A PDS motor will push the cart along at speeds approaching 24 MPH with a 36V battery pack and faster with 42V or 48V packs.
I found a new Alltrax XCT48400-PDS for $485. Is that about the cheapest I’ll find? Seems like a lot without trying everything possible. The motor is a Spicer. 10-20-2004 and has 012AJ304 1. 73500G01. Is this the right controller for that motor?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO