lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
sc.rider
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery Maintenance and Charging Questions

Hello -

I'm new and have had my EZGO TXT for a couple weeks now. I have read the stickies at the top of the page regarding battery maintenance but still have a couple questions related to batteries and charging so here goes:

1. I charge my cart after every day's use and what I have been doing is unplugging from the cart in the morning when I see the light is solid green on the charger. If I am not going to use the cart for that day, or if I'm planning on using it much later in the day, should I leave it plugged in? I have noticed in some posts here people are saying if the cart is not in use, it should be plugged in all the time, but I have read the charger shuts off once a full charge is met and there's no point in leaving it plugged in.

2. Trojan Hydrolink System - my cart came with this and my understanding is if the dot is white, the battery needs water. If only one or a few batteries need water, can the Hydrolink system still be used, or should I water them individually? Just wondering if the Hydrolink keeps the others even and doesn't overfill if only a few need water. (hope that makes sense)

3. If I don't use my cart for, say 2 or 3 days after a full charge, does it need to be recharged prior to using it again?

Thank you. I have not had very good luck with rechargeable batteries in the past and want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
sc.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Zincode
Getting Wild

Default Re: Battery Maintenance and Charging Questions

You have good questions. I have 4 carts and take care of another two. I keep carts plugged in all times even when not used a few days. Not all but some newer chargers will kick back on after a drop in significant voltage. This is only on newer chargers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Zincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

1. For chargers that came with EZGO's from the factory, there is no reason to leave them plugged into the cart. Generally they don't have a maintenance function. Won't hurt to leave it plugged in either. I unplug mine when storms are in the area to isolate the cart from anything electrical though I've never heard of a cart being zapped by lightning through the charge cord.
Chargers with other brands like Club Car for example have a maintenance function as do aftermarket ones thus people often follow the plug it if parked rule.

2. Single point systems are supposed to keep the fluid level correct in all cells. These systems are generally necessary for fleet operators (golf courses). They will accept a certain percentage rate of failure for the cost saving of paying people to check individual cells. For an individual owner there is a risk. These systems can and do fail the result being a ruined pack. $$$$ They don't enjoy a good reputation on this forum.

3. If not using the cart for awhile, plug the charger back in every couple of weeks. Batteries self discharge 1-5% a week.

The key to long battery life is maintenance. Keep them clean, watered (under-filled and overfilled are both bad) and charged.

If you really want to know about batteries start here:https://batteryuniversity.com/
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
sc.rider
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
1. For chargers that came with EZGO's from the factory, there is no reason to leave them plugged into the cart. Generally they don't have a maintenance function. Won't hurt to leave it plugged in either. I unplug mine when storms are in the area to isolate the cart from anything electrical though I've never heard of a cart being zapped by lightning through the charge cord.
Chargers with other brands like Club Car for example have a maintenance function as do aftermarket ones thus people often follow the plug it if parked rule.

2. Single point systems are supposed to keep the fluid level correct in all cells. These systems are generally necessary for fleet operators (golf courses). They will accept a certain percentage rate of failure for the cost saving of paying people to check individual cells. For an individual owner there is a risk. These systems can and do fail the result being a ruined pack. $$$$ They don't enjoy a good reputation on this forum.

3. If not using the cart for awhile, plug the charger back in every couple of weeks. Batteries self discharge 1-5% a week.

The key to long battery life is maintenance. Keep them clean, watered (under-filled and overfilled are both bad) and charged.

If you really want to know about batteries start here:https://batteryuniversity.com/
Thank you that is a huge help.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have factory charger that shuts off once charged. I Charge after a days use
Days use is voltage dependent. Voltage drops below 80% it’s on charger. or once a month if it sits unused.
Posting type of charger may help as some have a float,maint. Mode.
Read up on auto fill systems. Most agree not to use them as they can fail.
I fill each cell as needed.

Good you ask these questions as battieries are hart of cart and require most maint. Along with being high cost to replace if neglected👍
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
sc.rider
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
I have factory charger that shuts off once charged. I Charge after a days use
Days use is voltage dependent. Voltage drops below 80% it’s on charger. or once a month if it sits unused.
Posting type of charger may help as some have a float,maint. Mode.
Read up on auto fill systems. Most agree not to use them as they can fail.
I fill each cell as needed.

Good you ask these questions as battieries are hart of cart and require most maint. Along with being high cost to replace if neglected👍
The charger I have is just the basic EZGO one that shuts off at full charge.

I will definitely check the battery cells individually.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO