lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2020, 05:05 AM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: brake light turn on %

A factory light set stuck on is usually indicating "brake fail", but it turns off with the key.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2020, 05:09 AM   #12
cgtech

Yamaha

The factory lights get their brake light signal from the controller itself, and if it stays on, it's trying to tell you why the cart isnt running. (Usually a failed motor brake code set that off).
Old 01-21-2020, 05:26 AM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
His tail lights work fine as far as I know. BUT, he is doing the most efficient use of a rxv & letting the controller do the work (without need for "abrupt brake pedal applications"). I think he wants the rxv to signal brake lights when he is letting the cart "do its job" without his direct input on the brake pedal. I'm getting what he's saying, I think, but I'm not sure how to do what he wants, because rxv factory lights/controller expects at least a little brake pedal input to activate brake lamps. He wants rxv to activate brake lights whenever its "slowing down" , as opposed to only when he is actually touching the brake pedal. He is using it to its max potential & it doesnt do "brake lights" to indicate that. It's a totally new problem to me, but I get what he's asking for. This is a problem I could only wish for with the "average consumer" (understand how a rxv would prefer to slow down), but am not yet sure how to answer. I give OP credit, and ask if it it is "bob tuned"? This is how I drive every rxv ("tap" the brake, then decide if I "need more" after that).

Sorry Moon, if you aren't used to how rxv acts everyday, "you just dont understand". Its not like any cart you drive that uses "real brakes" at the wheels. Not talking ****, but it's totally different to get used to. (Like "tap" the pedal once before a stop, and it'll do the rest for you, no "constant pressure" needed/wanted) . Rxv brake pedal is "tap & let go" then it knows you want to slow down, it does it. "Press a little harder & let go" if you really gotta shed speed. Only "press & hold" if you were going too fast, only "mash the pedal" for emergency. All these steps are "bumped up by one factor" when you have high speed gears or huge tires. All that makes a stock rxv easy to drive with mostly "one pedal operation" , with just a tap on the brake pedal easy. I drive them "fork lift style" (me sitting on the dash looking backwards) , & "skateboard style" (no seat, just standing up) all the time. No other cart offers that easy control.
You are correct, I do not know a lot about that system.

But in post #2 you asked why he wanted them on all the time. I thought maybe he did not have tail lights for use at night and wanted to do this. My bad.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #14
johnabell67
Not Yet Wild

yea bob tuned it cgtech, in theory you would think setting it to 0% it would behave how I'm thinking waiting to hear from bob or someone that has tried it since brake lights never activate how it is now.

i plan on going full 100% street legal and need brake lights to be safe when were doing 35mph lol
johnabell67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #15
johnabell67
Not Yet Wild

so on the rxv brake lights only work while brake pedal is pushed down?

my brake lights dont work when you let off the throttle during regen
Old 01-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #16
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnabell67 View Post
so on the rxv brake lights only work while brake pedal is pushed down?

my brake lights dont work when you let off the throttle during regen
Brake lights only come on when pedal pressed.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #17
johnabell67
Not Yet Wild

maybe bob will chime in
Old 01-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #18
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm glad the OP brought this up. My wife's complained a number of times after following me that the lack of brake lights is dangerous. It's actually a catch 22, if you let the regen stop you or only tap the brake pedal the brake lights will never come on to warn people behind you. You need to actually do an aggressive stop for the brake lights to operate. So the two options are regen/tap brakes without brake lights and hope that they see you stopping or hit the brakes and hope they see the lights before rear ending you... neither is a good option.

If only there was a way to program the controller to give a 3-4 second brake light for each light taping of the brake pedal...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Brake lights only come on when pedal pressed.
CG would it hurt anything to just do away with the factory brake lights and and add a switch underneath like a motorcycle switch for the brake lights?

I don't have one of these carts but I can see how the factory system would be annoying as heck.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

When the RXV brake lights turn on appears to be something not adequately evaluated or resolved by EZGO and/or Curtis, so an entrepreneurial opportunity exists for someone to design, manufacture and market a device that turns on the brake lights when the cart slows down rather than when the brake pedal is pushed.

The aftermarket (TecScan) LED lighting system I installed on my TXT does that, but it is an imperfect solution since it uses a swinging weight and the brake lights turn on going downhill, or stay on when cart is parked on a hill with the nose downwards.

An electronic accelerometer with a pure horizontal G-force output might be the answer, or an ammeter that turned on the brake lights when amps flow into the battery from the controller (Regen braking) was detected might work.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO