lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
rcpd5534
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Charger testing?

Is there a way to test a power wise QE 48 V charger?
rcpd5534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-29-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Zincode
Getting Wild

Default Re: Charger testing?

The charger needs voltage from the batteries to kick on. Somewhere around 24 to 28 volts minimum. If your batteries are below, ie dead, use an automotive battery charger hooking up to only two batteries. Then switch to another set of two until you get the pack up to a voltage that starts charger. Then test the output of charger with volt meter

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Zincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
rcpd5534
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I understand that. I have charge each battery up and have about 30 V across the pack but it still won’t kick on. Is there anyway to check the charger? I am on sure if it’s a charger problem or a socket problem or something else entirely.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Connect a DVM to the battery pack's main negative and positive terminal to measure resting pack voltage.

Connect charge and if pack voltage increases, the charge is trying to charge battery pack.

The way I read the 48V PW-QE manual, it comes on in a trickle charge mode and charges batteries up to 2VPC before changing over to normal charging cycle. However, the LED is flashing Green slowly.

If the LED isn't on, neither is the charger.

If no LED on, check the cart's (non-repairable) charge receptacle, it has 30A fuse between the positive terminal and the heavy red wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW-QE 48V.jpg (760.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Personally, the best way to test a PW-OE charger is the way they proved women were witches Salem. Toss it in water and if it floats it is bad.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
Zincode
Getting Wild

Are any lights coming on. Think that charger has one light that glows red when powered up then flash green when charging. If you are getting flashing red; it is a code where you count the flashes between pauses and gives a diagnostic number that could be crossed to determine the fault. I have working QE and non-working ones.
Funny thing is the Delta QuiQ is in my opinion one of the best chargers; it has many algorithms that can be stored (up to ten) and programmed into the memory. Yet the QE is probably the worst charger ever marketed; total junk. However both are manufacturer by same company: Delta.
Lester has the Summit II that is great. Has bluetooth and I have great had great service with it.
Just some opinions. Bite the bullet and scrap the QE

Old 02-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #7
Zincode
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Personally, the best way to test a PW-OE charger is the way they proved women were witches Salem. Toss it in water and if it floats it is bad.
This is the mostest bestest greatest advice on the Delta QE charger. Could not have said it better. And that's advice from one of the foremost knowledgeable minds on this forum. Heed his acknowledgement.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
rcpd5534
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Connect a DVM to the battery pack's main negative and positive terminal to measure resting pack voltage.

Connect charge and if pack voltage increases, the charge is trying to charge battery pack.

The way I read the 48V PW-QE manual, it comes on in a trickle charge mode and charges batteries up to 2VPC before changing over to normal charging cycle. However, the LED is flashing Green slowly.

If the LED isn't on, neither is the charger.

If no LED on, check the cart's (non-repairable) charge receptacle, it has 30A fuse between the positive terminal and the heavy red wire.
No lights. Charged all batteries manually up to about 7V, but only showing about 30V across the pack. Same result testing the voltage at the back of the socket. Tried another brand new generic charger at the battery store and still nothing.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpd5534 View Post
No lights. Charged all batteries manually up to about 7V, but only showing about 30V across the pack. Same result testing the voltage at the back of the socket. Tried another brand new generic charger at the battery store and still nothing.
What is the voltage on the terminals at the front of the socket?

If none, the cart's non-repairable charger receptacle has failed.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #10
rcpd5534
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
What is the voltage on the terminals at the front of the socket?

If none, the cart's non-repairable charger receptacle has failed.
30V. Same as the pack.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO