lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Cart won’t stop

86 model should have the center swipper arm. Even if the solenoid is stuck on the cart shouldn't being moving unless the pedal is pressed. So once the solenoid is fixed adjust the gas pedal to make sure it's not either out of adjustment are sticking.
Common problem is stuck linkage under the cart from years of junk and dirt getting into the linkage area.
Another common problem is the contacts for the different speeds get out of shape and need to be filed and cleaned up good. The swipper arm is spring loaded and can be replaced. If the spring isn't working right it will stick between to contacts and do as your talking about.
Here at the beach it's even worse. A hammer and WD-40 are whatever kind of spray you like keeps them from sticking most times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo reistor swipper.jpg (48.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo swiper solenoid lay out.jpg (45.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo swipper cables hook up.jpg (40.7 KB, 0 views)
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #12
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cart won’t stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
86 model should have the center swipper arm. Even if the solenoid is stuck on the cart shouldn't being moving unless the pedal is pressed. So once the solenoid is fixed adjust the gas pedal to make sure it's not either out of adjustment are sticking.
Common problem is stuck linkage under the cart from years of junk and dirt getting into the linkage area.
Another common problem is the contacts for the different speeds get out of shape and need to be filed and cleaned up good. The swipper arm is spring loaded and can be replaced. If the spring isn't working right it will stick between to contacts and do as your talking about.
Here at the beach it's even worse. A hammer and WD-40 are whatever kind of spray you like keeps them from sticking most times.
Its an 1986, it will run without pushing on the pedal
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #13
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Cart won’t stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Its an 1986, it will run without pushing on the pedal
It's not suppose to. Why would you think it should?
If it's wired correctly it want. If the pedal is adjust correct and the cables are hooked up correctly it want.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #14
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
It's not suppose to. Why would you think it should?
If it's wired correctly it want. If the pedal is adjust correct and the cables are hooked up correctly it want.
Not sure if you fix carts for a living, or ever worked on a fleet of that vintage cart, but trust me, solenoid stuck closed, as soon as you put it in forward/reverse it will try to go. Ive repaired 100's like that
Old 05-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #15
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Cart won’t stop

Quote:
Not sure if you fix carts for a living, or ever worked on a fleet of that vintage cart, but trust me, solenoid stuck closed, as soon as you put it in forward/reverse it will try to go. Ive repaired 100's like that

You must not have fixed many of them if you think they should run with no pedal movement then. You need to take your own advice sir.

Quote:
There are those on this site that know how to read a schematic, there are those that own a golf cart, and there are those that work on them every day. Experience counts when it comes to a golf car.
You need to read sir. I didn't say that to begin with.

I have fixed golf carts for over 30 years and know how they operate. What is it with you that think your the only one that knows how to work on them. If the pedal assembly is adjusted correct it want move even with the key on. You think a company like EZGO and club car would build a cart's that move without input from the gas pedal??? Why do they put so many micro switches and in them if they wanted it to move with just the key switch turned on.
That is just crazy.
Do you even know how the resistor cart works? Because it sure sounds as if you don't.
The solenoid and they micro switch both have to be on for it to move. The key on a resistor cart only puts power to the micro switch. Then when the pedal is pressed it goes to the solenoid which activates the contact in the swipper arm. If the gas pedal is adjusted correctly it want be able to move. With the solenoid being welded closed the micro switch has to be engaged for it to move which means the gas pedal needs adjusting. Very simple operating system.
Here are the factory wiring and it's pretty simple really.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo swiper solenoid lay out.jpg (45.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo solenoid labeled.jpg (46.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I do not fix carts for a living or even for a hobby and I have not knowingly ever laid eyes on a resistor drive cart, but I have been reading schematics and troubleshooting electrical and electronic stuff for 60+ years and have taught troubleshooting techniques to several hundreds of students in the upper 5 percentile of the American youth. Now I basically troubleshoot problems from schematics based on the symptoms provided by the posters on BGW, and the laws of physics. Hopefully both of you can read the attached schematic.

If there is a cable connected between the switched side of the solenoid contacts and the #1 stud on the wiper assemble, (Circled in red on attached schematic), then the cart will move whenever the solenoid contacts are closed (or welded closed), irregardless if the pedal is pushed or not.

The purpose of that cable is to reduce the arcing on the #1 stud and the solenoid contacts. The undesired side effect is the cart moves when the solenoid contacts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor ezgo -1st stud wire circled.jpg (151.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #17
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:

You must not have fixed many of them if you think they should run with no pedal movement then. You need to take your own advice sir.

You need to read sir. I didn't say that to begin with.

I have fixed golf carts for over 30 years and know how they operate. What is it with you that think your the only one that knows how to work on them. If the pedal assembly is adjusted correct it want move even with the key on. You think a company like EZGO and club car would build a cart's that move without input from the gas pedal??? Why do they put so many micro switches and in them if they wanted it to move with just the key switch turned on.
That is just crazy.
Do you even know how the resistor cart works? Because it sure sounds as if you don't.
The solenoid and they micro switch both have to be on for it to move. The key on a resistor cart only puts power to the micro switch. Then when the pedal is pressed it goes to the solenoid which activates the contact in the swipper arm. If the gas pedal is adjusted correctly it want be able to move. With the solenoid being welded closed the micro switch has to be engaged for it to move which means the gas pedal needs adjusting. Very simple operating system.
Here are the factory wiring and it's pretty simple really.

Are you sure you have worked on golf carts for 30 years? I have you beat in that area, but if you truly have been working on golf cars for that long, you know that both club cars and ezgos will move with a stuck solenoid. You had too at some point fixed a cart with that issue. It was common. We call it a Ghost rider. Your going to tell me that you have never come across aclub car or EZGO that is stone dead, or the resistor coils are so hot you could make toast? Come on, 30 years, please, pull on my other leg it has a bell on it.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #18
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Straight out of the manual guys for resistor carts. Look at the picture. It's black & white. I never claimed to be the smartest guy on here and never will. I also don't personally tell people they have no idea what they are talking about either because every one makes mistakes when posting. I sure do. But here is the BLACK & White straight out of the manual for these carts.
I think EZGO knows how their carts work.

I never said it wasn't the solenoid wasn't stuck. I added that after the solenoid was replaced to check the pedal for out of adjustment. Read guy's,
So if the solenoid is letting juice through it then the pedal needs adjusting. resistor carts have the 1 stud with no cable attached to it for when the pedal is at rest. If the gas pedal is adjusted correctly the wiper comes to rest on the bottom contact for a no go.
Look at the pictures guy's there are 5,yes 5 contacts the first one has nothing attached to it. That is the contact for the pedal to rest on when the pedal isn't pressed! Look at the pictures. If there wasn't that contact the spring would shove the swipper contact out of the housing and never move up the contacts.
I wouldn't let a cart out of my shop that moved on it's own with no pedal movement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas pedal adjustment.jpg (120.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo swipper cables hook up.jpg (40.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo manual.jpg (124.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo solenoid labeled.jpg (63.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #19
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Ill add, there are book guys, and then there are the guys that fix them out in the field, Big difference. Ive met many of the engineers from the big manufacturers. They don't have a clue sometimes on how their carts break, things they never thought about or could imagine. Ever talk to the tech support guys? Most I wouldn't let fix my kids red wagon.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #20
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ill add, there are book guys, and then there are the guys that fix them out in the field, Big difference. Ive met many of the engineers from the big manufacturers. They don't have a clue sometimes on how their carts break, things they never thought about or could imagine. Ever talk to the tech support guys? Most I wouldn't let fix my kids red wagon.

You sir would never touch my carts. If your to good to admit it then well I'm done. You let a customers cart leave your shop that moves with nobody touching the gas pedal then I'll will stay away from you and your advise on how to fix anything. You don't have a clue to how electrics work so now your blaming somebody else for your mistakes.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO