lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Water disabling my PDS cart

Hello everyone, I've had an issue the past few months with my 2008 PDS cart that I thought I had better deal with before it leaves me stranded in a bad place. I've had the cart for 6 years and this has only happened 3 times in the past 6 months.

It seems that sometimes when running through a puddle of water, the cart will shut down so that it will barely move. It certainly doesn't happen with every encounter with water, but it did it again yesterday after going several months without it happening. I went through a small pool of water, went about 100 yards, and then it suddenly slowed to a crawl.

I flipped everything off, including the controller, let it sit a few minutes, and tried again with no luck. I then let it sit 2 hours in the sun and it ran normally. This was similar to what happened before.

I assume that water must be getting into the electrical system at some point under the cart. Looking at it, the cable in the middle of the picture seems to be the most likely point of entry:

It would not be hard to seal this cable with a layer of silicone, but I thought I had better ask the experts before doing that. I suppose it could cause something inside the switch to get too hot at times. What say you folks; bad idea? Or am I on the wrong track and something else is a more likely problem?

Thanks for any ideas.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Water disabling my PDS cart

Is that the cable coming out of the pedal box?

If it is, sealing it will treat the symptom, not cure the ill.

I suspect the ITS sensor has some hairline cracks in the potting compound that is supposed to waterproof it. If it does, moisture gets into the electronics and does strange things.

Try putting in a new ITS sensor and sealing the cable entrance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITS sensor - Schematic.JPG (88.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
coosa
Gone Wild

Thanks Johnny, I will replace it and fix it right.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

I replaced the ITS sensor and noticed an immediate increase in power and speed. Apparently, the cart had lost power gradually enough that I had not noticed it.

I had previously thought that this sensor either worked or it didn't work, and didn't realize that it could be a source of a gradual loss of power. This post is just in case someone else runs into a similar issue. I always hate reading "how to fix it" threads that don't tell us the final outcome. I am also going to put silicone around the cable to you try to limit water getting into it in the future.

Thanks again for the help, JohnnieB.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Glad you got it working better!
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO