lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
jfarrior
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question 2000 TXT 36v to 48v Conversion

I want to convert from 36v to 48v and don’t know they best way to do it. I recently purchased a 2000 Ezgo TXT (series) for hunting and have already installed a Jake’s 6” spindle lift, 22’ tires, 2g wires, HD F&R switch, and HD solenoid. My Alltrax 500amp controller should arrive on Tuesday. I hunt in Alabama with a few hills so I need more torque. I don’t need to do 25mph, but don’t want to go slow. My batteries are a few years old so I will be buying new batteries next October (next hunting season).

So, here are my questions

1. What is the best way to convert to 48? From what I have seen, I think I should go with 8 6v batteries.
2. What do I need (EVERYTHING) to make the conversion?
3. Can I buy a normal 48v charger and just add two more 6v? I don’t want a 36v + 12v charger set up.
3. Is it better to convert to an onboard 48v charger? Everything in one and helps maintain the batteries.
4. What is the typical cost for this? I understand some people get awesome deals, but what would be the norm.
5. Where do you store the new batteries?

I would love to hear your thoughts and what has worked.

I appreciate all of your help!

JF

p.s. Scottyb is AMAZING! Christmas morning I decided move forward and upgrade my controller and a few other items. Scottyb replied to my email Christmas morning and continued to respond to all my emails (8 total and a Paypal request) Christmas day. He hooked me up and provided outstanding service. I also just installed his 2g wires and they are great. I would recommend him to everyone. Thank you scottyb
jfarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
kc4wd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 TXT 36v to 48v Conversion

I'm still new here but I'll take a crack at your questions.

8 6V batterys will give you more range than 6 8V batterys. Most put the extra batterys in the bag well area. Which adds more weight to the rear. Need to get the HD springs. 6 8V batterys will fit in the stock location, but you will need a voltage regulator to run lights, radio, etc. From the way I understand it, yes just buy a 48V from a CC and change over the plug to fit your cart. Doesn't matter if you use the 8 6V or the 6 8V batterys, it will charge the same. Cost will be what ever good deals you can find since you already have the alltrax, 2g cables and a HD F/R. (Someone else needs to verify this but I think you will need a HD 48 volt solenoid when you convert and not use the 36 solenoid you just bought)

I am going to do the same when I have to get new batterys and will be using the 8V batterys. I have the rear seats and don't want the extra rear weight.

And scottyb is the man! From what I have seen, He may not always be the cheapest, but the customer service is the best you will ever find.
kc4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
libertybellcdr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

JF,

While I don't have any conversion info, I do have some questions regarding your desire to convert to 48v. I'm doing a hunting cart restoration right now. I'll have the same lift, same tires, similar controller and solenoid.

I hunt in East Texas. There's not mountains, but definitely some large hills. How slow does your buggy go? Am I going to wish that I had 48v?
libertybellcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
libertybellcdr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

JF,

I think I misread your original post. Looks like you never upgraded the OEM controller. Is that correct?
libertybellcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

JF, first off welcome!

You got most of the information, you will need to convert your solenoid to make the conversion, looks like you got the rest of it, put batteries in bag well, and you should be good to go, get with Scotty and he will get you what you need. Good luck and post pics.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

Yup your good to go. Scotty b can do you up a package with everything you need. Down to the wires you need to run into the bagwell if you go that route.

He took care of me when I did mine
ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

hi jf. all you really need is two batts and the cables. you can run your hd 36v sol. if you wire the small posts for 36 and the large for 48. i have run mine like this for quite sometime. if you are going to buy new batts in the fall , for now see if you can find some inexpensive used batts to use in the interm. this will help your new batts last a lot longer.

jim
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
The Inlet
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I would go with 6 8v also upgrade your motor to a GE 1161 or D&D 8hp after you get your motor call altrax tell them what moter you got and thay will e-mail you a new feiled map for that 500 amp altrax you
The Inlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
jfarrior
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

My cart runs about 14mph on flat land and has not had the power to get up the hills yet so I dont know how fast it runs uphill. I spoke with Scottyb and hopefully I can try it out this weekend and let you know.

I am looking for a 48v charger for a 2000 Ezgo TXT. I would like some imput on the best chargers, and who to watch out for.

Thanks,
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
jfarrior
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

p.s. I have decided to go with 8 6v. Can't wait to see the difference in power.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO