lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
cart_life
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo rxv voltage drop

Hello I have a 2011 EZGO RXV. I have the 6x 8 volt battery configuration. After a full charge and letting the cart sit for over 12 hours I have 50.3 volts. While driving on the road at a slight incline with full throttle my voltage drops to 36.9. Also if I stop on any sort of incline the cart struggles to get going again.

Im not sure what brand my batteries are but I know for sure they are not Trojan, they were brand new when I bought the cart in 2016 so I would say they are going on almost 4 years old. I am also using the EZGO Powerwise QE charger I have read about these not being able to give a full 100% charge. Is this true?

Just wanted to get some opinions about my situation, should I go ahead and get new batteries and a DPI charger or is this the norm?
cart_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo rxv voltage drop

I would get a DVM and see what each battery is reading after you use it and it sit for awhile. I think you'll see that you have at least one bad battery.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
cart_life
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have let it set for a few hours and each battery is reading 8.4 volts. Do you think the drop to 36.9 volts is too low or is this normal? I am using a DVM to check everything the only thing I have on the cart is the gas gauge style SOC indicator. I used alligator clips to hook the DVM to the batteries and got my reading while I was driving.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Way too low, the cart is gonna start locking up & leaving you stranded soon. Plan on getting a whole set, dont waste time and money playing "battery whack-a-mole" chasing the next bad battery & getting no warranty on the new ones you install with old garbage.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I have the same cart with 4x12v. I just ordered 14 Nissan Leaf modules. Am converting to lithium. Tired of $1000 every 3 or 4 years. 1700 for conversion and probably 7-10 years. Then it will just be a matter of replacing the modules. By that time they should be cheaper and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
cart_life
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay thank you for the response. I have been looking at either the Interstate GC8-XHD-UTL or the GC8-HCL-UTL. Do you have experience with either of these or have an opinion on them? I would put Trojans in the cart if they were not so expensive, I will also be getting a deal on the Interstate batteries if i go that way.

I have considered buying the DPI charger for the cart. Is it worth getiing the charger as well or should i just stick with the Powerwise QE charger?
Old 01-13-2020, 04:06 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Buy whichever battery you can afford that has the highest AH rating. After you get the batteries installed, fully charge them immediately, drive it a little, charge fully. Then check each battery voltage to 2 points past the decimal (8.XX).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Unless you can prove charger is not fully charging pack.
No sense in buying new one. Jmo😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

On your old batteries, did you check your water level in them. If the water is down below the top of the plates, your water level is too low. This is battery maintenance and should be checked. I keep an eye on mine once a month. With water level too low, this can quickly degrade and ruin a battery.
Correct water level should be above the plates, but not filled to the very top neither. On my Trojans, and most batteries, when you take the top off, there is usually plastic that goes down into the battery a little ways. Fill the water to just below that point.
These batteries need to be properly maintained or they will not last. Another test tool is a Hydrometer. This can be found at you local auto parts store. It works like a water dropper and tests the amount of acid in the battery. Always wear good rubber gloves when using a hydrometer. You don't want that acid on your skin.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #10
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

following because I have an rxv with 6 8volts and batteries are 20 month old Trojans and have been having voltage drop issues for a couple months. some times it will charge to 100% according to my battery meter but most of the time it wont.
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drop, rxv, volrage
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO