lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
Hinano77
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 Precedent Bad Controller?

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster. I have used many threads to build my franken cart that I was able to pick up for basically free. I do have a recent issue with my cart that I need some advise on. I will list the symptoms as far as i know:

- Cart will reverse but self disengage about every second. I have to pump the pedal to get the motor to reengage, then it will repeat and disengage.

- Cart in forward will accelerate but disengage the motor at anywhere from 3-15 seconds. I if i let off the accelerator the motor will disengage but the regen/braking capability will slow the cart, and i get a beep beep beep.

- I have inspected the speed sensor, and everything looks fine. I am running a speed magnet. I tested the roll away and it works as advertised.

- The only thing out of the ordinary under the hood is the white wire running from the controller to the motor is extremely hot to the touch. Like unsafe breaking down insulation hot after a 300 yard drive. All connections are tight.

This issue started intermittently about a month ago, and has now gotten to a point where the cart is not worth driving due to the constant shut downs. The cart doesn't jerk or sputter, it just loses power and beep beep beeps. at which point if you cycle the accelerator it will go again for 3-15 seconds. The cart has a nissan leaf battery on 23" tires with a curtis 250A controller. I am thinking it must be the controller, the motor, or maybe mcor, but with the only issue being the wire between the controller and the motor how could it be the mcor. I dont want to fork the big money out until I am more certain that's what it is. Anyone out there willing to help troubleshoot or give tips on what might be the issue? Thanks in advance.
Hinano77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
Danimal1228
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2007 Precedent Bad Controller?

Sounds like a dirty MCOR
Danimal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinano77 View Post
.... - The only thing out of the ordinary under the hood is the white wire running from the controller to the motor is extremely hot to the touch. Like unsafe breaking down insulation hot after a 300 yard drive. All connections are tight. ....
Once you figure out the problem it probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade the white wire to 2 ga. I would think the green cable would be getting warm, too. Sounds like the controller is trying to keep the cart running, but it may be maxing out at 250A trying.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
Hinano77
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal1228 View Post
Sounds like a dirty MCOR
Thanks, Ill pop the mat out tomorrow and take a look at the mcor. I should at least look at it before focusing on the more expensive parts.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:48 AM   #5
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you have a high speed magnet your regen brake is disabled and the cart would be free wheeling so I would check that magnet first...

Check all your motor cables and connections...A loose or bad connection is the the first place to look for a hot cable also a bad connection of the motor brushes will cause heat...

As long as your are looking at the mcor pull the 2 wire connector off and jump it with a piece of wire..This bypasses the microswitch inside it...

The solenoid is also always a suspect for intermittent issues..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
Hinano77
Not Yet Wild

Got it fixed. I tested the MCOR and it tested good. The problem ended up being a bad solenoid. I replaced it with a 400 amp one I had easy access to and it works great now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car