lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2021, 03:53 AM   #1
WheelchairZach
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default How do I determine the aH capacity of my 8 volt batteries from Battery Source?

I am currently using 3 year old lead acid batteries, 6 8-volt from Battery Source. How do I determine how many aH these batteries are? I called Battery Source and when they looked it up, the answer they gave me was not in amp hours, it was in capacity and it was 200 per battery.

After my alltrax controller died, I Upgraded to a Curtis controller and HPEVS AC motor. However, when I floor it, the voltage momentarily drops to 39 volts and the motor feels like it’s cutting out/shudders.

I have taken care of my batteries, never allowed to get low on water, once while at a shop they discharged low enough that the cart charger wouldn’t kick on and I had to use a car charger to charge them 2 at a time. I ordered a battery desulfator from Battery Extra
https://www.recovermybatteries.com/ex02-12-48-400.html
but it has a switch for packs up to 500 ah or 1500 ah so I need to figure out exactly what mine are, or at least what they were when they were new. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Zach
WheelchairZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How do I determine the aH capacity of my 8 volt batteries from Battery Source?

I can't help you with your question (I'm sorry) but will be interested in your results from the battery desulfator. I have a few vehicle batteries that have sulfated but have never heard anything promising from the desulfator units; please post up your results after you try this.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: How do I determine the aH capacity of my 8 volt batteries from Battery Source?

They’re less than 500Ah I can guarantee that. Typical GC8V batteries will be in the 150 to 170Ah range.

What’s the brand and model number of the battery? Are there any other markings on the label?
There is a rough conversion that can be done with the RC rating, but it will not be totally accurate.

The thing to remember with lead acid batteries is they have a finite number of times they can be charged, and every charge cycle decreases their capacity over time. The lead plates are consumed slowly, which leads to reduction in capacity. This is part of the normal process of battery aging. The reduced capacity also means reduced output, especially when upgrading to higher power controller/motor combos which pull more amps than a stock setup.

My opinion, those batteries are aged beyond your needed usage, and you will be better off to replace the pack now with a set of quality higher output batteries. Your cart performance will just suffer in the mean time even if you do get some marginally better performance from using a desulfator.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car