lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default controller question

I just bought a curtis 1205-210 on ebay. will I need some kind of throttle control wiring to make it work on the ez go with the its ??? IF so what will I need?

Thanks for the information
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: controller question

Should have checked that out before buying a 1205 controller.
Unless there is a "ET" suffix in the part number, it uses a Pot-box.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Mr JohnnieB
Your right I should have looked a little closer,before buying this controller.
Now that being said,from all the information I have gathered, the curtis 1205-210 will work on the series ez go cart. My only concern is the control wiring. From the picture I saw,it only has 3 terminals where my alltrax has 4. Now, I'm speaking of the small wires on the controller.
If anyone has an answer to this please let me know.

Thanks
Stumpy
Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sorry, that might not have come across quite the way I meant it. (I forgot to include a at the end)
Please disregard the first sentence, the second one has got the pertinent information.

Here is the Curtis 1204/1205 manual. Check out the paragraph titled "Electronic Throttle Wiring" on page 16.

In a nutshell, unless the controller has the optional 0-5V throttle input, it only uses a pot-box type throttle.

As for the 3 control wires vs 4 control wires, it will work.
The orange wire from MS-4 is for 1/2 speed reverse with the stock series (Curtis 1206) controller and the Alltrax replacement for it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Curtis Controller 1204_05 manual.pdf (415.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well everyone,I got my curtis controller put in my cart and It did work,Well some what. Now please take into consideration I am not the sharps tool in the box.So here is my quandary,the cart will run in both direction,Just not when the F&R is in the right position.
Now for my questions about these controllers. This controller has 4 control wiring spades,3 close together and one off by it's self next to the A2 bar.
do you have to use this other spade??? and as of this writing I have not hooked up to the A2 bar.Do I need to use this bar? If so,no problem,but can anyone tell me why this bar is used on some controller and not on others.
and JohnnB,I got a large laugh out of your comment. That's what I was thinking after the fact.(impulse buying)

Thanks to all
Sonny
Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Different controller, but the attached shows how to wire if you don't have the A2.

My understanding is that A2 is used for plug braking and/or regenerative braking. I believe plug braking is used on forklifts, where you can slam it into reverse while going forward, or vise versa. Regenerative braking is simply using the motor as a generator to charge batteries.

My neighbor's buggy has a "feature" that prevents him from free-wheeling down hills.

I'm not a believer of regen braking, at least with the kind of riding I do. If you are out riding around the 'hood, and have an equal amount of uphill and down hill, you are far better free wheeling downhill, in order to have enough speed to coast partway up the next hill. Gravity is recoverable, with only wind and rolling resistance working against you. A regen system will only capture a fraction of the potential energy you have once you start going down hill.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc100-043-B_DWG-AXE-EZGO-Wire-Dia.pdf (174.3 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the fast reply.Since I have the A2 on this controller,I will hook it up that way.Now, what about the control spade(small wire) next to the A2 bar. Should I just leave it alone or put some wire to it??

Thanks again
Sonny
Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnysmith View Post
............what about the control spade(small wire) next to the A2 bar. Should I just leave it alone or put some wire to it??.......
If you want cart to run at half speed in Reverse, connect it. Otherwise, leave it off.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB
That might be a good thing for safety. Will that be the orange wire?

Thanks
Sonny
Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a problem with my controller, I think, I can place the shifter in the forward position and the cart runs in reverse,then place it in reverse and it will run forwards. I have changed the black and white wires with no results.Same thing.
Can anyone shed some light on this problem???

Thanks
Sonny
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO