lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Rangerdaniel
Getting Wild

Default Wire gauge, maybe dumb question

Can automotive cables be used on a 36 volt cart? What would it cost to upgrade wires? 2 or 4 gauge
Rangerdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
skipi123
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wire gauge, maybe dumb question

When wiring your golf cart the heavier the wire gauge the better. Look for a 2 or 4 gauge cable. Multi-strand with a rubber housing. You can use welding cable. Use copper 5/16" lug to fit gaure of cable and sodder the conection. Also put shrink tubing on to bridge your cable end to the lug. Replace the cable to the motor at the same gauge your only as good as your weakest link.
skipi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Making your own cables from good 2ga wire will cost a lot less than buying a slew of pre-made automotive 6ga cables. I bought a 25' spool of 2ga wire and a mess of crimp-on lugs for about $100. Welding cable would be better than the battery cable that I bought. The strands are much finer, hence they will move more current more efficiently. For my purposes, the battery cable has been just fine, though. If you cut open a factory 6ga wire and look at it, you'll see even the stuff I used is a vast improvement.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdaniel View Post
Can automotive cables be used on a 36 volt cart? What would it cost to upgrade wires? 2 or 4 gauge
Any wire will work as long as it is the correct gauge size and made this type of use. If to small the wire will heat up and you'll get a short or something worst like a fire.

From what I understand about electricity, current flows on the outside of the metal wire (inside the insulator of course). The more strands, the less resistance. You can use wire that is one solid piece and it will work, but stranded it is better! Remember it has to be the correct gauge size or bigger!

For my 95 EZGO Medalist I went with 4 ga. welding wire, took about 29'. Solder them into full sleeve 5/16" copper coated lugs.

See attached if you want to try the solder set up!
D-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Attached Files
File Type: doc Soldering 101.doc (21.0 KB, 0 views)
D-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO