lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Chuckie
Getting Wild

Default How to test starter/generator

What's the quickest way to test the starter/generator to see if it's working to charge the battery while you use it? What should the voltage be at if it is working. One of my carts keeps dieing to where it won't turn over after a few uses.
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: How to test starter/generator

put multimeter on battery, while pressing pedal with cart in neutral voltage should rise to between 14-15 volts give or take .5 volts....anything higher is a voltage regulator problem and no rise is the generator problem.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

with your voltage meter hooked to battery and cart in maintence mode start cart and slowly rev engine voltage should rise to approx 15.5 to 15.7 anything higher and thats not good anything lower than approx 13.5 and thats not good...............if you do find its not charging or overcharging i would 1st suspect the voltage regulator not the starter.............what year is cart? most of the regulators are in the black box where solenoid is......if cart is 91 or older your regulator is brass with either 3 or 4 wires hooked to it .......if cart is 92 or newer regulator is a small black box with a bolt going thur center of it..........if it has the black box with bolt thur it replace that 1st before S/G cause they do go bad quite often......matter of fact because you posted this lets see if we get a run of members with bad voltage regulators...............lol........seems like that always happens....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Chuckie
Getting Wild

Shadow, the cart is a 94 ds and I just used a voltmeter on the battery and ran it in safe mode and it was reading at best 12.3 v at best. So is it the generator? Is it repairable? or cheaper to just get another one.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
Shadow, the cart is a 94 ds and I just used a voltmeter on the battery and ran it in safe mode and it was reading at best 12.3 v at best. So is it the generator? Is it repairable? or cheaper to just get another one.
i would put a voltage regulator in before a starter......very very rare for starter/gen to go bad on the other hand a 94 they eat V.R,s .......just my opinion but in all the years i have played with these things only once have i come across a S/G that wouldn,t charge...............yes they are repairable but i,m not certain about cost but i would honestly concentrate on VR................................
Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
randyrw
Not Yet Wild

I have an 1993 gas club car and was wondering if I have a neutral/maintance. I tried to set the f/r switch in the middle or what would be neutral and tried the gas pedal. Nothing happened so I just checked it on the road with meter setting on my seat. Do I have a maintance setting.
randyrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrw View Post
I have an 1993 gas club car and was wondering if I have a neutral/maintance. I tried to set the f/r switch in the middle or what would be neutral and tried the gas pedal. Nothing happened so I just checked it on the road with meter setting on my seat. Do I have a maintance setting.
under seat on rear of F&R theres a yellow knob, pull it out rotate 180 degrees that should be maintence mode put in nueltral start cart......remember to turn it back when done as cart won,t start in drive or reverse otherwise..............................
Old 09-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
randyrw
Not Yet Wild

thanks, i figured there was a trick to it but i'm new to cc and havent got an manual yet.
randyrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Chuckie
Getting Wild

Shadow Thanks a ton!!! It was the v/r and all is good. You guys are great on this site.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
off_sho_cajun
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Is this info relevant to a '07 precedent?
off_sho_cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car