lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Heavy duty solenoid?

The first picture shows a correctly installed diode between the solenoid's coil terminals.
(The black thing with a strip around the end attached to the small terminal with the yellow on it)

The second picture shows a 250A fuse and a 220 Ohm resistor. I suspect the resistor's lead wire were originally crimped in the two empty red ring terminals on the solenoid's big posts. The resistor is called the "Pre-Charge" resistor.
The value of the precharge resistor should be 250 Ohms for a 36V system, so the Ohmic value of one shown is a little low, but will probably work okay.

The third picture shows one of the two wires going from the F1 & F2 terminals on the controller to the F1 & F2 studs of your Sepex motor. Sepex stands for SEParately EXcited and the the field winding are excited separately from the armature windings.
At maximum, the current flow through the field windings in a Sepex motor is about 1/10 of the current flow through the armature, so those wire don't need to be nearly as big.
I believe they are 10Ga, which is big enough for the current they carry.
If the ends are corroded or the insulation is damaged, they should be replaced, otherwise there is no need to do so.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK Johnnie, you were right about the ohm resistor. it was located in the 2 red ring terminals. is it important to have them installed. I am not sure how long it has been disconected.. I thanks for the advice... my wife is loving that you are saving us money!!!
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

as far as the 10 gauge cable goes... it is in good shape and does not need to be replaced..
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby44 View Post
OK Johnnie, you were right about the ohm resistor. it was located in the 2 red ring terminals. is it important to have them installed. I am not sure how long it has been disconected.. I thanks for the advice... my wife is loving that you are saving us money!!!
It should be installed. It keeps the the contacts in the solenoid from arcing as much when the close.
The controller contains a bunch of filter capacitors that become discharged when the solenoid disconnects the battery from the controller and the resistor across the contacts keeps them charged, hence it is called a "Pre-charge Resistor".

Without it installed, the peak instantaneous current flow at the moment the solenoid contacts close, and before the stop bouncing, is several hundreds of Amps and that burns out the contacts quicker.

With it, little if any current flows until the contacts have established a solid electrical connection, so they last longer.

--------------
On the other hand, the diode across the solenoid coil, while is protects a set of contacts also, functions a bit differently.
When the solenoid is energized, the current flow through the coil develops a strong magnetic field. When the solenoid is de-energized, the magnetic field collapses and huge voltage spike with the opposite polarity is created.

This voltage spike travels at near the speed of light towards the pedal microswitch whose contacts are opening at a far slower mechanical speed and will arc across the air gap between them, burning them out sooner.

The diode is forward biased by the voltage spike, and dissipates it back into the solenoid's coil harmlessly, making the pedal switch contacts last longer.

Some controllers energize and de-energise the solenoid, so the diode on the solenoid coil protects the innards of the controller instead of the pedal microswitch, but it is still a good practice to has the diode installed.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
as far as the 10 gauge cable goes... it is in good shape and does not need to be replaced..
Be sure to check inside the the cable hanger that routes them around the battery box. That is a common place for the insulation to be worn off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn field wire insulation.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

These wires are damaged and need to be replaced.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #27
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

yeah gman... Those were like that when i bought the cart 16 yrs ago.. they are next on my list... any idea on a part#? Thanks!!!

What would be good to re-connect the red ring terminals.. that is a pretty small wire to try and re-co-nnect to.. Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
yeah gman... Those were like that when i bought the cart 16 yrs ago.. they are next on my list... any idea on a part#? Thanks!!!

What would be good to re-connect the red ring terminals.. that is a pretty small wire to try and re-co-nnect to.. Thanks in advance!!

Why rush into a big project like that?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #29
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

lol scottyb... kind of what i was thinking... they are fine... any idea on the red ring connectors?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #30
ezgo motion
Not Yet Wild

I installed a new Alltrax controller & heavy duty solenoid on my PDS 36v EZGO cart. The first issue is that low voltage is reaching to the motor and the controller show me an error 1 green light 2 red lights, that mean low voltage. So I checked the wires and all the circuit diagram. Everything looks fine, even the diodes direction on de solenoid. I also have a doubt if I need a pre-charge resistor on the solenoid. And even if I need diodes on my new solenoid because the old one didn´t have.
But the power doesn´t reach to the motor so I decided to use the old solenoid (no diodes on it) on the new alltrax controller and the cart works.
where is the issue? Do I really need diodes on the new solenoid?
thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image3.jpeg (34.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg image0.jpeg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (25.9 KB, 0 views)
ezgo motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO