lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
brmjr
Not Yet Wild

Default speed controller

I have an 05 ezgo series cart. I would like to upgrade to 400 amp controller but I want to make sure I get one thats wires up correctly and gives me a nice increase in torque. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
brmjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
LongbeardExpress
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: speed controller

I have a 97 txt and I put a 700 amp logisystems controller on mine. I can tell a difference but it still loses speed on hills a little. I am running a stock motor for now though.
LongbeardExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmjr View Post
I have an 05 ezgo series cart. I would like to upgrade to 400 amp controller but I want to make sure I get one thats wires up correctly and gives me a nice increase in torque. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Alltrax AXE 4844. Nice.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
brmjr
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys, the axe 4844 is exactly the one I've been looking at. Is it difficult to wire up? I noticed it has the blade type connection but my stock plug is the pin type connector. Will I need to cut my stock plug and add the blade connetors and if so what is the correct pattern for wiring it up? Thanks!!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

From a previous post on another board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gornoman
This shows how to swap out a stock controller with a new Alltrax 400 Amp AXE4844 on a '97 Fleet E-Z-Go. I would imagine most Fleet controller carts look just like this and the pix are accurate for other years as well. Resistor, DCS, and PDS owners not included. Anyway, if your cart does not look like these pix do not proceed until you know what you are dealing with.

Stock configuration:

Remove Main Battery Pack Negative Cable and secure.
Remove Main Battery Pack Positive Cable and secure.
Insert key, turn ON, engage Reverse (no beeping sound now), and step on pedal to bleed any energy out of system.
Place cart in Neutral, remove key.
Remove Dust Shield over Forward/Reverse Switch.
Remove Environmental Cover over Controller, 4 bolts. The cover may stick to the Heat Sink after bolt removal, but it will come off with a slight punch.

Label each Cable attached to the top of the Controller per the markings on the Controller case. If you have original cables they may be marked for you already.
Remove the marked Cables and save the bolts and nuts for assembly.
The plastic Connector with the four control wires will not be reused. The 4 control wires will be used and may need to be lengthened after cutting off the Connector. If extensions are needed use the same gauge wire.

Remove the 2 nuts holding the Solenoid Assembly to the Solenoid Bracket. Please note that ALL SOLENOID CONNECTIONS ARE LEFT INTACT. Move Solenoid Assembly away from Controller.

Remove the 2 bolts holding the Solenoid Bracket and save the bolts for assembly. The Solenoid Bracket is not reused in this application.
Remove the 3 bolts Holding the Controller to the Heat Sink and save the bolts for assembly.

Install new Controller using 2 old mounting bolts and 2 new washers. Make sure new Controller lays flat on the heat sink.
Install main Cables to CORRECT TERMINALS. Try and route the Cables to allow access to the 4 control wire posts. On the B+ post that carries 2 Cables place a cable on each side of the terminal before securing with bolt and nut. Tighten all securely.
Mount Solenoid Assembly the the Alltrax body using 2 new Screws.

The Control Wires (lengthened if necessary) will need Insulated Female Spade Connectors installed with a crimper. Typical automotive parts and tool. Using the color of the wire as a guide follow Alltrax instructions and plug the Control Wires in.

Before restoring Main Pack connections raise rear axle off ground and secure with stands. This is a safety step to prevent a runaway.
Restore Main Pack Positive Cable.
Restore Main Pack Negative Cable.
Insert key and turn system on. Select Reverse, beeper sounds. Step on gas and check for reverse operation. Stop wheels with brake, switch to forward and check operation. Return to neutral, turn off system and remove key.
Once again, remove Main Pack Negative Cable and secure.
Remove Main Pack Positive Cable and secure.
Install Controller Environmental Cover. It will be snug, but it will go on.
Install Forward/Reverse Dust Cover.
Restore Main Pack Positive Cable.
Restore Main Pack Negative Cable.
Lower cart from stands.
Enjoy.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
brmjr
Not Yet Wild

this is great, thanks alot gornoman
Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

You're welcome, best of luck!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
thewolfe
Not Yet Wild

will this conversion work on my 95 medalist, and if so is for torque or speed?
thewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Otter70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your medalist should be a series cart since ezgo didn't offer DCS until the TXT so it should work. You wont gain any more speed unless you upgrade to 48v, you will notice a good increase in torque though. Good Luck
Otter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
thewolfe
Not Yet Wild

with this controller, what can i do to gain speed? or can i go to a higher amp controller? or do i have to change motor and controller? if so what do you recommend?
thewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO