lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
nick731
Getting Wild

Default no power and smoke? please help... ezgo txt

thank you all in advance for your help. my dad has an ezgo txt. i believe it is a series model. i am not sure of year. early-mid 90's i think. it is not lifted bt doeas have rear seat.

here is the situation. after having the cart a while it started getting to where it would not always engage after pressing the pedal . selenoid clicks but no movement. moving the F&R handle back and forth would typically work and then it would go again. he spraid down the switch with wd40 and the problem went a way. then he started having issues with charger. his charger would not come on. so he replaced board in charger. now it comes on but would not go off on its own. we took it out a couple days ago and the loss of power returned. pushed home. i noticed that one of the small wires on the switch had burned through. we recrimped and re attatched wire. still no power but the reverse buzzing suddenly worked again. (back up buzzing never used to work) . and there was a BURNING SMALL with smoke. the best i could tell is that it was comming from the control box....

where should we go from here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130616_145806.jpg (156.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130616_145823.jpg (125.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130616_145829.jpg (140.0 KB, 0 views)
nick731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: no power and smoke? please help... ezgo txt

Looking at your pictures.....
#1....There are 3 wires going from your battery pack to your charger receptical. White, Black, and Red. in the picture the red wire isn't hooked up, its the control curcit to turn on/off the charger and should be connected to the + of the 1st batterery of the pack. The White (+) for the charger, the connection is VERY corroded, I would put a new connector on.

You stated that the F/R started working....so thats good? considering what was happening and what your dad did to fix it, there is no doubt that there is some corrosion in the switching mechanism....personally it may need to be taken apart and cleaned in and inspected.

well leaking smoke isn't good.....do you know where it was really comming from?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
nick731
Getting Wild

thanks for the quick help! i will get that wire hooked up asap and clean/replace the other connector. .

it was hard to say for sure becasue it was very faint, but it was either comming fromt he control box or fromt eh F&R switch itself.

if the red wire was not hooked up would that allow the charger to burn anything out?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick731 View Post
thanks for the quick help! i will get that wire hooked up asap and clean/replace the other connector. .

it was hard to say for sure becasue it was very faint, but it was either comming fromt he control box or fromt eh F&R switch itself.

if the red wire was not hooked up would that allow the charger to burn anything out?
I am guessing that the smoke may have been coming from the F/R switch as the WD40 was burning off.

as for the charger control wire. it shouldn't hurt anything, but you said it turned on but would not turn off.....depending on what charger it is, I am supprised it even turned on without it hooked up.

Some of the more knowledgable folks, like Scottyb or JohnnieB may chime in.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Have you checked the voltage of the pack? a fully charged 36V system should be about 38.2V.....what is yours reading?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
nick731
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Have you checked the voltage of the pack? a fully charged 36V system should be about 38.2V.....what is yours reading?
i did do that and it had the proper voltage
Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The red wire coming in with the black and red charger wires is part of the activation circuit. It is connected to a reed switch in the charger socket that prevents the cart from working while the charger is plugged in. It may have been bypassed and hence is now disconnected.

If you had wires melted in the FNR control box it was getting too hot in there due to bad connections. Check and make sure all the heavy wires are tight. If they are, it may be time for a new switch.

As for the charger not shutting off, it could think the batteries are not coming up completely but it should shut itself off after like 15 hours. If it does not, you may need to check the connections on the board you just installed.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
nick731
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
The red wire coming in with the black and red charger wires is part of the activation circuit. It is connected to a reed switch in the charger socket that prevents the cart from working while the charger is plugged in. It may have been bypassed and hence is now disconnected.

If you had wires melted in the FNR control box it was getting too hot in there due to bad connections. Check and make sure all the heavy wires are tight. If they are, it may be time for a new switch.

As for the charger not shutting off, it could think the batteries are not coming up completely but it should shut itself off after like 15 hours. If it does not, you may need to check the connections on the board you just installed.
good thoughts, i should have mentioned the charger will self shut off after duration. it will not shut off based on charge level etc. if it was somehow bypassed would reconnecting the red wire cause any issue? is there a good way to clean the f&r switch?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The wiring diagram you need is here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

The red wire used to go from the charger socket to the drivers side micro switch under the FNR switch cover. The reed switches go bad in the socket and a lot of people bypass them.

You can try some fine sandpaper but if you have been having a burning smell, the puck and or main board may be toast.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
nick731
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
The wiring diagram you need is here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

The red wire used to go from the charger socket to the drivers side micro switch under the FNR switch cover. The reed switches go bad in the socket and a lot of people bypass them.

You can try some fine sandpaper but if you have been having a burning smell, the puck and or main board may be toast.
what is the puck and by main board do you mean the controller or are you still referring to the F&R?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO