lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Curtis 933 to led battery indicator.

Ok so I didn't want the old Curtis analog battery gauge on my cart. So I replaced it(attempted) with a led style gauge. The old gauge and 3 numbered male terminals on the back. The new one has 4 male terminals labeled +,-,C,R.
I have the manual on the Curtis 933 and it makes no reference to positive or negatives. Only shows where to plug in on the old 3 plug gauge?

Any ideas on what to test to determine where the plug wires go? Maybe the R is for the key switch and the C is for controller??

Can't figure out how to add a picture???
Nicksel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Curtis 933 to led battery indicator.

We got some guys that can figure this out with no problem.....with nothing more than a wiring diagram of your cart, but they will need a little info, what year and model of cart do you have?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

1994.5 ezgo txt. I can post the diagram for the Curtis 933

http://curtisinstruments.com/index.c...%20scans%2Epdf
Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Medalist not txt??
Old 06-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What is the model number of the new gauge?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
What is the model number of the new gauge?
Pro36rc
Old 06-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It appears that ProPower PRO36RC meter replaces both parts of the Curtis 933 system, so trying to run the PRO36RC from the wires that originally connected the Curtis analog meter to the Curtis control box, might not work.

Hopefully, whoever installed the Curtis system did not wire the cart's solenoid activation circuit through the Curtis control box.

If they didn't, just connect the + and - terminals on the PRO36RC to the main + and - terminals on the battery pack and use it a battery monitor rather than a controller.

I'm speculating, but it appears that the R and C terminals on the PRO36RC are dry relay contacts that open when the battery's SoC drops to 20%. (That is 80% discharged and cart batteries should never be discharged more than 50%!)

If whoever installed the Curtis system did wire the solenoid activation circuit through it, you've got a can of worms that will have to be sorted out by someone familiar with cart wiring.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the info. The Curtis just goes to the positive and negative on the 36v side and then to the gauge. It's not wired to anything else. All I did was wire the positive and negative to the battery and ran the "C" terminal to the hot side of the key switch. Seems to be accurate, just wondering if the Curtis system has anything to do with the battery charger? Or is its purpose just to run an analog battery gauge???
Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I didn't see anything in the manual you posted for the Curtis 933 system that tied it into a battery charger other than telling you it was time to charge the batteries, and having the capability of disconnecting the batteries from the load, if they got too low. The new system appears to do the same thing, except everything is contained within the meter itself instead of being in two parts, and the trigger points are fixed rather than being adjustable.

About the only use for either of them that comes to mind is a management tool for a warehouse with a fleet of electric forklifts and a crew with a lackadaisical attitude about battery charging. The forklift would stop working if the batteries got too low, but before they were permanently damaged.

Personally, I prefer a Digital Voltmeter type battery meters for golf carts.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the info!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO