lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
cliffsurfs
Not Yet Wild

Default ezgo battery change problems

Hi, i'm new to the site. I had a great running Western 36 v.(Ezgo) in need of new batteries I think it's a 95. Was wiring in the new batteries heard a pop, no sparks, smoke or smell. Sounded like it came from solenoid area. If it sits for a while it will go in reverse and forward at what seems full peddle jurks and churps the tires then nothing or will creep slowly. I checked the diode and resister there ok as well as the switch on top of the pot. I checked the pot. and have 0-6 ohms. I have 38 v to the B+ side of the solenoid and 20-27 v to the output side with key on or off? I jumped B+ to the output of the soleniod and motor runs. Kinda points to solenoid? hope its not the controller. It has a Ford type starter solenoid but taller. This is my first electric cart. With the amps those batteries put out it could dubble as a 4 wheel mobile welder. Any ideas or input would be helpfull. cliffsurfs
cliffsurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: ezgo battery change problems

The pot box should read 0-5000. I assume you just missed some zeroes. Recheck your battery wiring. Controller may not activate unless it has 36v going to it.
Do make sure its a 36 volt solenoid. A 12 volt won't work, at least not for long.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
cliffsurfs
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. The ohm meter was set on K ohms so it was less than 6k ohms, I should be in the ball park. I was a mechanic in a long past life, on Fords the output side of the solelnoid was dead till energized buy the start positon on ign. switch. I figured I was reading that voltage threw the resister to the output side. The soleoid does't always click. Should I try a new solenoid? cliffsurfs
Old 05-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

in a lot of cases when you hear that pop its the controller........not always but but i have seen it a lot........if solenoid isn,t clicking all the time i would start by replacing it they arn,t very expensive but get a golf cart solenoid a car solenoid just isn,t going to cut it.........it will work for awhile but will go bad much much sooner that a cart solenoid will................make sure all cables are god tight and connections clean.............give each cable a tug to make sure and when working on it make sure you dissconnect main battery pack cables so you don,t fry anything......................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
cliffsurfs
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the motor today and check it over, it is in excellent cond. Brushes, contacts, armature all look good. Yes I used a ohm meter. Noticed at the back of controller the lug that goes to A-1 was down and touching the case of the controller. Hooked every thing up hit the peddle and the back wheels rotated slowly then stopped. I jumped B+ to A-1 and all I got was a little spark with no rotation. The soleniod is clicking, F&R switch cleaned, all lugs, contacts are clean or new. Im thinkin' the controller is not powering the fields correctly? Is there any way of checking the controller? I used a ohm meter and checked it against my neighbors Ezgo that runs fine and got the same readings. It is a Curtis PMC 24-36v 275 amp. mod. 1204009. Yes there were some avoidible sparks in the last 4 days. If I replace it can you use a larger amp rated one? The B- side of the selonoid reads 34v till you press peddle than it reads 38.3v One more question I read on the site that new batteries (36v) should be as high as 42-44v ? I have new Ever-readys built 4-5-08 that I had on the charger and they only total 38.3v. Sorry for the long post. cliffsurfs
Old 05-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsurfs View Post
.....One more question I read on the site that new batteries (36v) should be as high as 42-44v ? I have new Ever-readys built 4-5-08 that I had on the charger and they only total 38.3v......
A new pack will take several cycles to "settle" in. 38.3 s/b ok but a tad low IMO. I'd bet that will come up some after pack is cycled a few more times.
42v-44v is probably a reading taken shortly after charge cycle completes and is the "surface" charge that dissipates (settles) soon after.
At or near end of charge cycle, voltage can be ~46v on a 36v pack.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
cliffsurfs
Not Yet Wild

Problem fixed. Went to a cart shop looking for a controller and was told how to do a quickie check for the controller. Hook up all connections, put key on peddle down jump the two big field connections (bolted) on the right side (passinger side of cart) of the controller. If the motor runs, motor OK, you just by-passed the controller. Also check the third lead behind the pot conn. on top of the controller with peddle down should be 36+volts, that energizes the board inside controller. I'm now the proud owner of another controller. Thanks to all cliffsurfs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO