lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #31
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lithium hunting cart overhaul

I think you may be overthinking this. The design you have a pic of still has to be snugged to a given torque\lb or even inch\lb.

The Left batteries case is designed to have the bolts (aka all thread) run through that point. The case is designed to hold a series of case's secure....so why mess with what it was designed to do and what works?

Again, my 7 module case was tightened up "snug." Not loose nor gorilla arm tight. My hunting cart bounces the snot outta 'em and they haven't moved yet.

FWIW

BTW....if your current pac is already tight.....then simply use a torque wrench to break 'em loose. The wrench will measure the force when that first bolt begins to break loose. That will give you the torque settings of what they are now.

In the reverse of thinking....use a torque wrench to measure the current force by attempting to tighten them more. At the first tiny inkling of the bolt moving....again....you will get your torque setting.

Last edited by DaveTM; 03-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: discover torque setting
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #32
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The modules need to be tight, it will only tight so much until the sleeves inside the modules where the rod goes through are bottomed out with the adjacent modules.

That pressure on the outside corners does not directly put pressure on the lithium pouch cells, it only flexes the outside case so the flexing case itself applies the pressure on the pouches.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #33
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

So I take it that what you are both saying is - don't worry about taking out the existing rod. Just take it out, put a longer one in there, snug it down, and then attach it to something to secure it to the cart - whether that be a box, angle aluminum, brackets, etc.?

Also, what about the picture of the bracket from the top? Why couldn't I just use something like that and not take the existing rod out?
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #34
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The way the modules were engineered the case maintains a pre-set pressure on the pouches independent of the torque on the rods.

I am not sure how you are planning on squeezing those modules together with that bracket without affecting that specification, but let us know how it works.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #35
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yes. I took out the original all-thread rods and had my pack completely apart. Then I put the new all-thread bolts through the side of my black steel compartment, then one-by-one I installed each module inside the steel box and on the all-thread. Then, I snugged up the pack bolts followed by tightening down the double-nut on the steel box.

It would probably been easier to thread up the pack....then slide the entire pack into the steel box. But.....live 'n learn.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #36
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

It sounds to me like Sergio is saying don’t do it but save says it’s fine.
Haven’t there been several people in here who assembled their own with threaded rod?
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #37
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I'm saying to use the assembly that was designed for the modules. Use an all-thread of whatever size you like. But I would not recommend some other type of assembly method as the modules are not designed for it.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #38
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I'm saying to use the assembly that was designed for the modules. Use an all-thread of whatever size you like. But I would not recommend some other type of assembly method as the modules are not designed for it.
Agreed! Part of the premium you pay for Leaf modules, is the fact that the design makes it easy for DIYers to utilize them in other uses than the cars they came in.

I don't think Sergio is saying not to use the allthread. I think he is saying, that it is your project and you can choose to do it how you like.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #39
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The all thread is the correct way to do it, I was referring to this contraption You posted earlier as possibly squeezing the modules in a manner outside the original design.

I also like the word 'tight' better than 'snug' since I tend to assume finger tight for 'snug' and the modules need to be compressed beyond their resting shape.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #40
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1842021
Don’t know if this is will be any help with the covers. Large split loom actually works pretty well if you could care less what others consider professional/pretty. I saw someone with a electric motorcycle who covered the tops of all the bolts and busbars with liquid electric tape, lol. Honestly, a lot of builds out there use no covers whatsoever. I leave mine exposed now, nothing could get in my battery compartment anyway.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car