lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2021, 01:45 PM   #1
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default 1 spark at spark plug, then nothing?

I started trying to get my '76 cart back together again after a tree smashed it during an ice storm, but unfortunately it won't start. After checking for spark at the spark plug, I found that it would have 1 spark at initial start and then no spark after.

I checked the plug wire and it was good. Then checked the resistance on the coil and it, too, was good. Also checked the ballast resistor and it was good. I connected a test light to the wires going to the coil and it showed just 1 spark at initial start and then nothing.

I got rid of the points and did the magnetic pick-up conversion when I built the cart and the cart ran perfectly for a long time. Then, for some reason, it would not start and I parked it with the intention of diagnosing the problem. Unfortunately, the tree fell on it before I could work on it.

I have never seen (or heard) of a single spark issue - it seems as if they either have no spark at all or regular spark, so I am at a loss to what it could be. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (441.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (551.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg coil BR.jpg (378.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg elec ign.jpg (355.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg sol VR.jpg (410.6 KB, 0 views)
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: 1 spark at spark plug, then nothing?

Why not put the points back in and eliminate the electronic ignition from the equation ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:26 AM   #3
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

You are at the point where you MUST go back to points unfortunately. that electronic module is no longer manufactured. Same thing happened to me on a par car. Had excellent spark. Pulled motor to rebuild it and upon re-install I would get one spark, then eventually nothing. You can search some threads on Pertronix module that people have had good luck with but honestly the easiest is go to points and then if you can solder and read a wiring diagram move over to an HEI module with the points. I did that and it runs great.

Make sure to be sitting down when you order the points with the plate.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:12 AM   #4
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Well, nuts. I thought these ignitions were supposed to be very reliable. Hopefully I saved my old points. I'll have to dig around tonight and see. Where did you get your HEI module?
Old 07-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

A single spark is a sure sign of burnt electronic ignition. It's very odd that it just happened to coincide with accident, that's for sure. Personally, I hate points and would give things another go with the electric but that's just my opinion.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:09 AM   #6
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
A single spark is a sure sign of burnt electronic ignition. It's very odd that it just happened to coincide with accident, that's for sure. Personally, I hate points and would give things another go with the electric but that's just my opinion.
Hey Lochlin, I agree - I HATE messing with points, but since I am looking to sell it, I don't think I want to invest the $$$ to replace the electronic ignition IF I can find my old points.

The cart quit running so I parked it in its shed with intentions of diagnosing the problem in the next couple of days. Then the weather turned cold and it got postponed. Then an ice storm hit and knocked over a tree onto the cart. It sat for a while because I couldn't stand to look at it, but now it's time to get it running and find a new owner for it.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #7
bigblock_doc
Not Yet Wild

The limo that Nixon used was a Lincoln, and they removed the electronic ignition
and put in a point distributor. I asked why, they said points are more reliable. That
limo is in the Henry Ford Museum. I delivered it there from a museum in Ca. back in the nineties.
bigblock_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #8
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

There is a post that says module for ignition is at fault and causes 1 spark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 12.40.12 PM.jpg (211.5 KB, 0 views)
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:39 PM   #9
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I built my own electronic ignition using the Chrysler module since it had a plug in for mu circuit. I used it for a few months until it got wet. I had to dry it out a couple of times. I did not wire in a switch to revert to the old system so I just pulled it out and used the old point system. I have checked the points once a year with no changes. I have been running points for over 6 years not without problems. Quality points is the answer to point problems. My compression is getting low so a new set of rings will be next. My points last longer than the rings!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson